Albert Taylor Shenneman

Company I, 7th Illinois Volunteer Cavalry

Submitted by: Kyle M. Condon

Albert Taylor Shenneman, Sheriff of Cowley County, was a young man, only thirty-seven years old, when he died January 25, 1883.He had entered the Union Army, at the age of 16, in 186 1.He joined Dan Wilt's Company "D(Actually Co. I)," 7th Illinois Cavalry. He served with credit in all the campaigns of Sturgis and G&son, on the Mississippi.
Drawn by the opening of the West and the Osage Diminished reserve, he came to Winfield, Kansas, in 1870. Albert T. Shenneman worked at several jobs, including Stewart and Simpson's Brickyard, until being appointed City Marshal in 1875. He filled this position during rough pioneer times, and tilled it well. He married the daughter of J. C. Walters. He resigned in 1876. In '75 and '77 he was an unsuccessful candidate for the Republican nomination for sheriff.In 1879 he received the nomination and won the election with a 700 vote majority.In 1881 renomination was unanimous at the Republican convention and he was reelected.
As an officer Sheriff Shenneman was without a peer. He was conceded by all his brother sheriffs to be one of the most efficient and capable in the state. With untiring energy, courage, and indifference to personal danger when duty called, he was more feared by the criminal classes than any other Cowley County law officer.
Personally, Sheriff Shenneman was not one of the "goody-goody" kind of men. What he had to say he said, and stuck to it. He was firm in his convictions and assertions when in the right. To one who understood his nature he was ever a kind, generous, and considerate friend.
A Jefferson County constable tried to arrest a young person by the name of Charles Cobb on Saturday, January 13, 1883. Jefferson County is northeast of Topeka. Cobb was wanted for promiscuously brandishing a knife and a revolver at a country dance the week before. Instead of surrendering, Cobb whipped out one of his deadly six-shooters and killed the constable. After the shooting, Cobb mounted a horse and rode off in a southwesterly direction.Possibly he was making for Hunnewell, Kansas, and from there to take the cattle trail to Texas.
Sheriff Shenneman received a telegram from the authorities stating that the fleeing murderer would probably pass through or near Winfield, and to intercept him if possible.Shenneman circulated cards giving the desperado's description and offering the usual reward for his capture.
Cobb carried a Winchester rifle and many other weapons, and if he was recognized during his flight, the invitation to tackle a perambulating arsenal was declined.
Charles Cobb came to Winfield during the morning of Monday, January 15th, and then traveled north toward Udall. He was seen by a farmer to stop near the corner of Mr. Worden's farm in Vernon Township and read the placards located there. One of them was of himself.
The fleeing Cobb stopped at the Jacobus house, in Maple Township, in the evening. Cobb told Mr. and Mrs. Jacobus that his name was Smith and that he had just come from Texas with a herd of cattle.He further stated that he was seeking work till spring.They told him they did not need help then.Cobb then asked if he could pay board and stay a week, so he could look around. Jacobus agreed, and received payment for a week's board. Mr. and Mrs. Jacobus testified later that Cobb had a shotgun in his possession and noticed he always carried a revolver and slept with it under his pillow.They thought this was simply his "cowboy ways" and let it pass.
On the Sunday before the shooting Cobb showed some boys his skill as a marksman. Cobb was breaking bottles thrown into the air with a single shot from his revolver.
The schoolmaster, who also boarded with the Jacobus family, received one of the description cards sent out by the Sheriff. He came to Winfield and informed the Sheriff of his suspicions on Monday evening, January 22nd.
That same evening Shenneman informed a friend that he had located his man and in less than
twenty-four hours would have him in hand.The Sheriff was cautioned to be careful as the boy was clearly a desperate character and would shoot to kill.Shenneman said he would go prepared and could shoot as quick as anyone.On Tuesday morning about nine o'clock the law officer put his Winchester in his buggy, strapped on his revolver and left for the Jacobus house.
Mrs. Jacobus stated that on Tuesday morning, January 23rd, Cobb's week's board was out so they relented and hired him to work.As they were all sitting at lunch, some one drove up and called Mr. Jacobus out. He soon came back and said that Dr. Jones, of Udall, was out there and would stop for lunch. Dr. Jones was an assumed name used by the Sheriff.Charles Cobb was all this time sitting at the table. Mr.Jacobus-and the man introduced as Dr. Jones---passed through the kitchen and the "doctor" looked very sharply at the prisoner. The two men went into the other room and Shenneman pulled off his overcoat and threw it on a chair.About this time young Cobb got up from the table, took his hat and gloves and started toward the door.
Mr. Shenneman then sprang upon Cobb from behind.A scuffle followed and they fell to the floor.Two shots rang out with both bullets lodging in Shenneman's stomach, but he continued to hold Cobb.Mr. Jacobus ran in and took the pistol away from the prisoner and told him to give up or die.The Caldwell paper reported "At all events, it appears to be certain that when the latter (Cobb) got through, he started to go out, when the sheriff, thinking he was lily able to handle what appeared to be a mere boy, threw his arms around Cobb from behind.The latter managed to get hold of his self-cocking revolver, and pointing it backward, fired, the ball penetrating the sheriffs bowels." The prisoner then cried out that he would give up, not to kill him.Mr. Shenneman then said, "Hold him, he has killed me."The sheriff staggered into a nearby bedroom and fell onto the bed.Jacobus and the school teacher, afler tying up the prisoner, went to assist Shenneman.
Sheriff Shenneman later said that as he looked at the fugitive, he decided that he wouldn't pull a revolver on such a mere boy.He would catch Cobb and hold him while the other fellow disarmed him.After the Sheriff grabbed Cobb, he found that he couldn't handle him.
Mr. Jacobus said: "When Shenneman jumped on him, I followed up close. As soon as I could, I got hold of his revolver and held it on him until he said he would give up.I then called the teacher from the school house and we tied him."
Sheriff Shenneman could not be moved.Plans were made to bring the prisoner to Winfield in the Sheriffs buggy by Cowley County Deputy Taylor and Undersheriff McIntire. A wagon-load of men, having heard the news and intent on seizing Cobb, met them that evening about a mile from town. The Sheriffs buggy was lighter and the team faster, so the officers outdistanced and lost the pursuers.
The officers came into town in a roundabout way and unloaded their prisoner just back of D. A. Millington's residence. They went through the back yard into Rev. Platter's wood shed.Cobb was held there by Deputy McIntire while Taylor scouted around. Taylor found that the jail was surrounded by a mob, which had spread out and was also patrolling the alleys in the vicinity.
Deputy McIntire in the meantime was holding the prisoner in the wood shed, and they could
hear footsteps prowling around the area.The prisoner said he wanted to be shackled to him and
given a pistol; then he would go into the jail.George McIntire wouldn't accede to that request so
Cobb hunted around and got a smooth stick of stove wood.Soon the crowd around the jail was
distracted and the mob rushed to another part of town.The officers seized the opportunity and
hurried the prisoner over and put him in jail.
The Courier reporter and other Winfield folks returned by way of Udall where the train had been held for them. An immense crowd had gathered at the depot expecting the prisoner to arrive in that way.They made a rush for the coach. They were, with difficulty, persuaded that the man was not there.It was not a crowd of howling rabble but an organized body of determined men. They were bound to avenge the brave officer to the last drop of blood.
The crowd then marched up the main streets of the city. They scattered guards out onto the
roads over which they expected the prisoner to arrive. Others watched the jail while hundreds
gathered on the streets in little knots and discussed plans for capturing the prisoner from the officers.
One more venturesome than the rest went about with a large rope on his arm and blood in his eye.The crowd surged too and fro until long after midnight when they began to thin out.Under the influence of more sober-minded citizens, they gave up their ideas of mob violence. About this time McIntire and Taylor appeared on the street and the few remaining citizens were eager to learn the whereabouts of the prisoner. Little was learned before morning and even then the location where he was being held was known to only a select few.
On Wednesday morning, January 24, 1883, a Courier reporter learned of the prisoner's
whereabouts and interviewed him. The reporter copied the following description of the Jefferson
County murderer that was telegraphed to the Sheriff.
"Charles Cobb, about nineteen or twenty years old: light complexion: no whiskers or mustache: blue eyes: a scar over eye or cheek, don't know which: height five to five feet three inches; weight 125 to 135 pounds: had black slouch hat: dark brown clothes and wore large comforter: may have large white hat: was riding a black mare pony with roach mane, and carried a Winchester Rifle and two revolvers: had downcast look."
The prisoner crouched in a comer of a small room.Afler introducing himself, the reporter asked the prisoner for his story of the trouble.He said: "My name is George Smith, and I am about eighteen years old.I came up to Dodge City from Texas with a herd of cattle, in the employ of W. Wilson. Have been on the trail about a year. My parents reside in Pennsylvania. I was paid sixty dollars when the cattle were shipped."
"I then rode east, intending to work my way back, and on a week from last Monday, it being too cold to ride, I stopped at Jacobus' and tried to get work, or to board, until I could look around. On Tuesday as I was eating lunch a man came in who was introduced as Dr. Jones.As I got up to go out, the Doctor jumped on me without saying a word.My first impression was that it was a conspiracy to rob me, and I wrestled to defend myself.
"I had a revolver on my person because I was among strangers, had some money, and was used to keeping it about me.If he had only told me, he was an officer, and had put his gun on me as he ought to have done if he believed I was the desperate character I am credited with being, this business would never have happened.
"I am no criminal, and I am not atiaid if the law is allowed to take its course.If a mob attacks me, all I ask is the officers will do me the justice to allow me to defend myselfIf they will take off these irons and put a six-shooter in my hand, I will take my chance against the kind of men who will come here to mob me.I am guilty only of defending myself, and I ask the law either to defend me or accord me the privilege of defending myself."
The newspaper reporter stated: "In personal appearance the prisoner looks to be a bright, healthy, smooth-faced boy, and has but few of the characteristics of a desperado.Cobb is a perfect picture of robust health, muscular and compact as an athlete.The prisoner's description tallies almost exactly with that of the Jefferson County murderer.He has a small scar above his lip on the right comer, and above his eye.In talking the captive uses excellent language, speaks grammatically and shows evidence of good breeding."
The prisoner was taken to Wichita later Wednesday afternoon by deputy Finch and confined in the Wichita jail.The lawmen wanted him out of the way of violence in case of Sheriff Shenneman's death.
On Thursday morning, January 25, 1883, the Sheriff of Jefferson County arrived, accompanied
by a farmer who lived near Cobb and knew him well.They identified the prisoner as Charles
Cobb.Cobb feigned not to know his old neighbor and still stuck to his cow-boy story.
Sheriff Shenneman died Thursday evening at 9:45 p.m., in Udall, Kansas.
On Sheriff Shenneman's death, Undersheriff George H. McIntire became Sheriff. [He was elected Sheriff in 1884 and again in 1886.]
On Saturday morning, January 27th, Sheriff Thralls of Sumnner County, Sheriff Watt of Sedgwick County, and Cowley County Deputy Taylor brought Charles Cobb back to Winfield in a carriage.Parties on the north-bound train passed them between Mulvane and Udall.
This news electrified citizens in the community.In the evening about two hundred resolute men gathered at the crossing.They boarded the incoming train thinking that Cobb might have been put aboard at some way station, but he was not found.The vigilantes returned to the city and placed squads at each bridge and on streets surrounding the jail.
The carriage with the prisoner arrived about eleven o'clock. The officers came by way of the ford at Tunnel Mill, thus enabling them to avoid outlying pickets, and drove to the crossing of Fuller street and Eleventh Avenue.Deputy Taylor was then dispatched to the jail to see how the land lay. He arrived just after a squad had searched the jail for the prisoner Cobb.Taylor quickly returned with the news that it was certain death to put Cobb in the jail.
Sumner County Sheriff Thralls and Sedgwick County Sheriff Watt took the prisoner out of the carriage and started south on foot with him.
Taylor was instructed to take the team out into the country. In going out of town, a squad of vigilantes caught the deputy and brought him back.From all parts of town men came running, wild with excitement. They formed in a dense mass around Deputy Taylor and clamored to know what had been done with the prisoner. As the crowd surged around the brave police officer, it felt as if the very air was laden with vengeance.
Soon someone cried "the Brettun," and almost to a man the crowd started in a run for the hotel.Here they found the door barred, but one of their number was allowed inside.He looked in the room of Butler County Sheriff Douglass, and found nothing.
The vigilantes then returned to the group holding Taylor and demanded that he tell them where they could find Cobb.Soon the horde went again to the jail and searched it from top to bottom. They then searched the courthouse and outbuildings. The search being fruitless, they re-turned exasperated, and for a few moments it looked as if Taylor would be abused.
Deputy Taylor was finally compelled to tell where he had left the prisoner.A rush was made for that part of town, carrying Taylor along to show the exact spot.A vigorous, but fruitless, search of barns and outbuildings in the vicinity continued for the balance of the night.
By this time Sheriffs Thralls and Watt, with the prisoner, had traveled out the Badger Creek road to William Dunn's, arriving at two o'clock, and failed in securing a conveyance with which to transport the prisoner to Douglass.They went on until they found a team and wagon.Sheriff Watt then took the prisoner to Wichita, by way of Douglass, where Cobb was to remain for some time.
Funeral services for Sheriff Shenneman were held on Sunday, January 28, 1883, at the First Baptist Church in Wtield, Kansas. Arrangements were in the hands of the Masonic Fraternity.The funeral procession to Union Cemetery was over one mile long.Four special trains (from Arkansas City, Wellington, Newton and Wichita) arrived for the funeral.
Cobb was returned from Wichita on Wednesday evening, January 3 1 st, by Deputy Taylor and again lodged in jail.Mrs. Shenneman went in and talked to him for a few moments.As she looked into his eyes, the criminal broke down completely and wept like a child.Soon people began to gather and many citizens saw Cobb for the first time.About eleven o'clock he asked to see Mrs. Shenneman again and confessed to her that he was Charles Cobb.He asked her to write to the wife of the constable in Jefferson County and tell her that he was sorry for killing him.He asked her to keep his revolver.Afterward, to Sheriff McIntire, he said he was led astray by reading the exploits of Jesse James and other desperados in the dime novels.
Mr. William Shenneman (who was a police officer in Bay City, Michigan) and Deputy Taylor remained to help SherifIMcIntire should anything occur.By two o'clock in the morning everything was quiet about the jail and on the streets so Mr. Shenneman and Deputy Taylor retired to the house across the walk.
Startled late pedestrians saw a company of men, their faces covered with black masks and thoroughly organized, marching down Ninth Avenue toward the jail.They went to Fuller Street where the leader flashed a dark lantern.The mob then marched back and tiled into the courthouse yard.Four of them, with pistols drawn, rushed into the sheriffs office, located in front of the jail. The black-masked leader ordered Sheriff McIntire to throw his hands up and the order was quickly obeyed.He then demanded the keys and Sheriff McIntire handed them over.
The masked Captain then threw the jail door open and said "Number 1, 2 and 3 to your posts!" and three men trotted into the jail. He then ordered "Reserve, guard the door!" The three men came out leading the prisoner. The Captain and his three men stayed at the office door for about five minutes before he demanded: "DO you promise you won't follow us'?" "No answer was immediately given so the captain shouted "Halt!" to the men on the sidewalk with the prisoner. He then turned to the Sheriff again and said, "Now say you won't follow us, and say it D--m quick! " He received no answer.
The other three left, but the Captain delayed for a moment while standing in the door, with revolver drawn. He again ordered, "Command. Halt! Send me two men!" The men came and took his place as the leader left.
The two masked men guarded the SherifT for about five minutes.They then pulled the office door shut and lee.The company surrounded the criminal and marched him down Ninth Avenue to Main Street. From there they moved north to Eighth Street and then turned west until they reached the railroad bridge. By this time a multitude had gathered and were following them. Two squad members fell back and with drawn revolvers they shouted "Keep your distance. "
The masked vigilantes got to the railroad bridge where a rope, prepared beforehand, was placed about Cobb's neck and tied to the bridge beam.The moon was just up; and several boys who were following, crept up into the brush on the river bank and saw the rest of the proceedings. AtIer the rope was tied, the unidentified leader, in a gruff voice, ordered Cobb to say what he had to say quickly. The boys in the brush heard Cobb say, "Oh, don't boys!" and "Father, have mercy on Me!" Two men wearing masks then took him up and dropped him through between the bridge railings.
Cobb fell about ten feet and rebounded half the distance. The black-masked mob then filed on across the bridge, leaving two of their number to guard the rear. These stood until the others had gone on across, when they too retreated. The crowd came up and looked at the victim. His body continued to hang there while the coroner was summoned. The scene was visited by hundreds. The County Coroner arrived, empaneled a jury, and only then was the body taken down.
The coroner's jury returned its verdict the next day, February 2, 1883, which was "Charles Cobb came to his death at the hands of parties unknown to the jury."
Mr. George C. Rembaugh owned and operated the "Telegram" newspaper at that time. Many years later he was quoted as submitting the following story."A coroner's jury was called to sit on the case. The main witness, when questioned as to whether or not he could identity any member of the mob answered, "Why yes, Judge."He then addressed the foreman, "The leader looked a lot like you and was built a lot like you.He even moved around like you do."A few more questions were asked and the jury handed down its verdict that the deceased came to his death at the hands of parties unknown. Mr. Rembaugh insisted that he, while hid out, saw the mob and he, like the main witness, thought the leader of the mob resembled the jury foreman.
On the same day as the verdict, the following telegram was received, "Will you box my son and send him by express to this place? If not, hold him until I come. C. M. Cobb" The corpse was placed in a casket and sent to Valley Falls (in Jefferson County) on the Santa Fe train Friday after-noon.

Tuesday, January 23, 1883
Sheriff Shenneman, of Cowley County, Kan., was fatally shot at Udall Station, by Charles Cobb, of Jefferson County, Kan., who had just escaped arrest for a crime committed there by killing the Constable who attempted to arrest him. Sheriff Shenneman had received notice from the Jefferson County Sheriff of the escape of the criminal, and learning that he was in the vicinity, had issued posters dated January 12, describing the party and

offering a reward for information, etc. On the 15th of the same month, a young man, mounted on a pony, came to the house of Waller Jacobus, a wealthy farmer, residing in Maple Township, and stating that his name was George T. Smith, and that he had just come through from Texas to Dodge City with a drove of cattle, asked for employment until spring, when he wished to return to his home in Pennsylvania. Mr. Jacobus, not having work for him at that time, he proposed to remain for a time as a boarder. This was acceded to, and he staid a week, and was then given work. Soon after hiring him, Mr. Jacobus saw one of the posters of Sheriff Shenneman, which so accurately described young Smith, as he called himself, that, taken in connection with the fact that Smith always carried weapons, he became convinced that he was harboring a criminal, and accordingly wrote to the Sheriff to that effect.

On Tuesday morning, January 23, Mr. Shenneman drove over to the place of Jacobus, about twenty miles from Winfield, and by arrangement with Jacobus, was introduced to the family, including his workman, as Dr. James, of Udall. The Sheriff decided at once that he had found his man, and soon after dinner attempted to arrest him by throwing his arms around him from behind. Cobb, however, was extremely strong and agile, and after a long struggle, they both fell, when Cobb shot the Sheriff with his revolver, inflicting two wounds, one of which proved fatal. Although so terribly wounded, and suffering from pain and loss of blood, Sheriff Shenneman did not relax his hold until Cobb was secured by Jacobus and a man who had been called by his wife. The two succeeded in setting a rope around his neck and choking him until he gave up. Mr. Shenneman, now almost exhausted, was laid on a bed, and his wounds examined and dressed. His friends arrived from Winfield in the afternoon, and remained with him until he died, on Thursday evening about 9 o'clock. On Friday morning, his body was taken to Winfield for interment, the funeral being appointed for the following Sunday, when it was attended by a great concourse of people from the city and surrounding country, including the Sheriffs of all the adjoining counties. In the meantime, Cobb had been taken to Winfield on Tuesday afternoon, by Marshal Herrod and Sheriffs McIntire and Taylor, and confined in the Winfield jail that night. The next afternoon he was taken to Sedgwick County and confined in the Wichita Jail. On Thursday morning the Sheriff of Jefferson County arrived at Wichita, accompanied by a farmer of the same county, who had lived near Cobb, and knew him well, and who immediately identified him. It was determined, however, to remand him to the jail in Winfield, and on Saturday morning he was placed in a carriage, and, in charge of four Sheriffs, was brought to Winfield; but, on arriving at the town, it became so evident that the prisoner would inevitably be lynched if put in the jail (the citizens being wild with excitement) that the prisoner was taken from the carriage, and taken on foot, by two of the Sheriffs, to the Badger Creek road, where, toward morning, they were enabled to get a team, and take their prisoner again to Wichita, by way of Douglas, arriving Sunday. On the following Wednesday, January 31, Cobb was again brought back to Winfield, by Deputy Taylor, and lodged in jail without any signs of violence being manifested by the citizens. Between 2 and 3 o'clock the following morning, however, masked men entered the jail, obliging the guard to keep silence, by the aid of loaded revolvers, and taking the prisoner to the K. C., L. & S. Railroad bridge hung him to a cross-tie

Sheriff A. T. Shenneman.
Sheriff A. T. Shenneman, of Cowley County, died at the residence of Walter Jacobus, where he was shot, last Thursday evening. He was buried in Winfield on Sunday with Masonic honors.
His funeral brought together the largest congregation of people ever seen on a like occasion in Southern Kansas. Trains were run to Winfield from all neighboring counties and his home people turned out en masse.
His funeral sermon was preached by Rev. J. E. Platter in the Baptist Church, which did not hold more than a moiety of the people present. The funeral procession required more than an hour to pass a given point and a large part of it did not reach the cemetery until after the services there were over.
These facts demonstrate the estimate placed upon Mr. Shenneman by those who knew him best. In his private and social life, he was a true and trustworthy friend, happy in his home, a man without personal enemies and always ready to help those about him.
As an officer he was without a superior. He was shrewd, always on the alert, and, in short, a natural detective. He was the most noted horse-thief catcher in Kansas. He knew all about a horse and never failed to identify a stolen animal months after he had read the description of it. If he had a fault, it was that of absolute lack of fear and a dread of killing. He had been constable, city marshal, and sheriff for years and always did the bulk of the dangerous official work. He was much respected by his fellow officers in surrounding counties for his ready and unselfish cooperation at all times. In his untimely death Cowley County loses a most valuable officer and the state one of its very best citizens.

Cowley County, Kansas, S.D.
Winfield, KS
Date of Death: 02/01/1883

>From National Law Enforcement Memorial Web page

Sheriff Shenneman had received notice that Charles Cobb, who had killed Valley Falls Marshal Daniel Weiser, was traveling in his direction. Cobb, working at a ranch near Udall Station (now Udall) aroused suspicion of the owner when he kept loaded weapons close at hand. The rancher notified Shenneman. Using an assumed name, the sheriff went into the ranch house,observed Cobb, decided he was the wanted person and attempted to arrest him. Cobb, however, shot and killed Shenneman but was captured by the owner and ranch hands and taken to Winfield. When a large crowd gathered, Cobb was moved to Wichita for safekeeping. He was returned, however, to Winfield for a court hearing. A large mob again gathered, took him from the jail, and lynched him from the Kansas City, Lawrence and Southern Kansas railroad trestle. While in jail, Cobb explained that books on Jesse James and other "desperados" had influenced his spree of crime

>From Kansas Law Enforcement Memorial Web Page.

Civil War Service-
SHINEMAN, Albert T. Recruit Niantic Apr 14, 1864 Mustered out Nov 4, 1865

Return to Scrapbook page