Thursday, June 30, 1864
Regiment still in rear line of works. I have become very sick with an attack of bilious colic. It is because a pain in my guts has driven me half-mad with misery. McCook badly wounded in that ghastly thing on Monday. There are many awful men in the command, but he was good. Very good! I have been obliged to go to the rear again for medical aid and suffer much.
The rebels made another approach on our line and were forced back. Signed another inventory plat which covers camp equipage that must be discarded because of heavy wear. Also obtained more shirts, drawers and stockings for the boys.

Friday, July 1, 1864
Regiment again in the front line, within about forty yards of the rebels. Everything was quieter today than usual, until about sunset, when our artillery opened a brisk cannonade on the southerners.

Saturday, July 2, 1864
All quiet today except slight musketry along the line, until nearly six o'clock. Then the rebels made a heavy attack with artillery. This was maintained until darkness closed the scene. Some apprehension of a big attack is felt.

Sunday, July 3, 1864
This morning again, the enemy is missing. At three o'clock a.m., a rebel called our pickets and asked permission to come in, which was granted. the man told us that the enemy had retreated two hours before, at one o'clock in the morning.

Monday, July 4, 1864
I still find myself very weak, but rapidly improving in strength. Moved in pursuit of the rebel army at daylight. Came up to them about ten a.m.
Parked the outfit and began to celebrate the Fourth. Had plenty to drink and eat, furnished by our kind and hospitable friend, Captain Davis.

Tuesday, July 5, 1864
This morning again reveals that the enemy have evacuated their lines on our front and are in retreat toward the river. We expect them to make another stand at the river, to enable them to get across.

Wednesday, July 6, 1864
Regiment on skirmish. Weather pleasant. I am not on duty.

Thursday, July 7, 1864
Received detail as Provost Marshal on the staff of Colonel Connolly, Brigade. About the usual amount of skirmish firing going on.

Friday, July 8, 1864
All quiet today, until dark, when the rebs made a move towards advancing their lines.

Saturday, July 9, 1864
All quiet during the forenoon. Then the rebs opened with artillery.

Sunday, July 10, 1864
All quiet. Rebels have again evacuated and moved south of the Chattahoochee River, burnt all bridges and obstructed crossing. Picked up a few deserters and captured a few prisoners.
Some runaway slaves came through our lines this morning and went all through camp, seeking work. Chester, a boy of about 15, followed by an older man, around 50, came to see me.
The man is called by Chester "Uncle Tom," but from the way Uncle Tom watches the boy, I am inclined to think that he is really Chester's father. Chester is hungry and ragged and so is the man. Uncle Tom said they had run away from a bad master named Ewing. I am going to put them down as Chester and Tom Ewing.
Chester is a willing lad. I would like to help him, but it is very hard to save any young person from the bitterness of life. He will share with Tom. Chester will be paid ten dollars a month and found.

Monday, July 11, 1864
Brigade quietly in camp and men resting. Generals McPherson and Schofield are supposed to be across the river and harassing the enemy's right flank. Rebels are not presumed to be in any great force on our front.

Tuesday, July 12, 1864
Still quiet along the front, except for occasional picket firing which amounted to very little. Our artillery consisted of heavy Parrot guns - twenty pounders - and these opened vigorously. No reply.

Wednesday, July 13, 1864
Everything unusually quiet today on the north side of the river. A few shots of artillery, but no particularly offensive demonstrations.

Thursday, July 14, 1864
this has been a day of idleness for me, though the main army, consisting of the 20th, 4th, 15th, 16th, 17th, and 23rd Army Corps is moving across the river, or is at least moving to our left as a preparatory step toward crossing over in a day or two.

Friday, July 15, 1864
Had a heavy shower of rain last night, which has cooled the air some, today. Not much fighting . Movement to the left still is in progress. 4th and 23d Army corps across the Chattahoochee River.

Saturday, July 16, 1864
Stayed in camp all day. Men are much relieved by the few days of rest which we have had.

Sunday, July 17, 1864
Division moved to Pace's Ferry and crossed the river. 85th Illinois deployed as skirmishers on the north side of the Chattahoochee. 3rd Brigade remained in camp on the north side of the river.
McCook died today.

Monday, July 18, 1864
3rd Brigade crossed the river and joined division. Division advanced and occupied Nancy's Creek.
22d Indiana deployed as skirmishers.
No loss during the day.

Tuesday, July 19, 1864
Second Division ordered to cross Peach Tree Creek. Movement began about 1:00 a.m. 3rd Brigade crossed first and met strong opposition. Had a desperate fight, was greatly outnumbered and flanked on both right and left. Our loss: 256 - killed, wounded and missing.

Wednesday, July 20, 1864
Second Division made new drives toward the railroad. Found the enemy in force and returned to our old line of works. Advanced our picket line about 1/2 mile. The front is on a high hill.

Thursday, July 21, 1864
Second Division made a reconnaissance toward the railroad. found the rebels in force there and then retired to our old line of works. Advanced the picket line about 1/2 mile.

Friday, July 22, 1864
Everything quiet along the line. Report came about 10 a.m. that Atlanta had fallen into our possession. Very heavy fighting heard all day on our left. Supposed to be on McPherson's line. Result not known. 2nd Division moved forward and took position on Proctor's Creek.

Saturday, July 23, 1864
Sent out one regiment as picket on a hill about 1/2 mile in advance of the main line of works. Position not very secure. Can be easily flanked and possibly the force might be captured. Little firing on the front today. McPherson has had a very heavy fight. 125th Illinois on picket on hill in front of 2d Brigade.

Sunday, July 24, 1864
Nothing unusual has transpired today. No heavy fighting. 3rd Brigade lay in reserve except one regiment on picket duty. 86th Illinois on picket relieved the 125th Illinois.

Monday, July 25, 1864
Nothing out of the ordinary has occurred today. 22d Indiana has relieved the 86th Illinois.
Very little fighting.

Tuesday, July 26, 1864
Still in camp and in reserve. 85th Illinois has relieved the 22d Indiana from picket.

Wednesday, July 27, 1864
2nd Division ordered to make reconnaissance towards Kelly's Ferry and from there towards Atlanta, and form on the right of the 15th Army Corps. The march was very heavy.
Got into position at 2:30 a.m. in the morning of the 29th.
Many stragglers dropped out along the route of march.

Friday, July 29, 1864
Visited the front of the 15th Army Corps, where yesterday's fight occurred. Counted seventy dead rebels on about two acres of ground. The carnage must have been terrible and the loss heavy, and must count by the thousands the dead and wounded. 52d Ohio took up picket line, in front of Whitehall Road.

Saturday, July 30, 1864
Moved Division some distance towards the right and again entrenched. Picket line nearly half-mile in advance. No enemy found. 110th Illinois on picket and also on skirmish. Found no resistance.

Sunday, July 31, 1864
2nd Division , 14th Army Corps supported by 3rd Division, 20th Army Corps, made a reconnaissance on East Point Road. Had a slight skirmish with enemy infantry and again returned to camp or trenches. 125th Illinois on picket relieved 110th Illinois. No rebs in sight.

Monday, August 1, 1864
Lay in the trenches all day. Heard heavy firing on the left at intervals during the day. 86th Illinois relieved 125th Illinois at 8 a.m.

Tuesday, August 2, 1864
Inactive today. Relieved from picket by 23rd Army Corps moving in on our front and right. Heard very little firing. Weather nice, but very warm. 22nd Indiana relieved 86th Illinios and was relieved by 23rd Army Corps.

Wednesday, August 3, 1864
In reserve all day. Nothing unusual happened.

Thursday, August 4, 1864
85th Illinois detailed for picket. Moved out about 6 o'clock in the evening. Took position two hundred yards in front of breastworks. Division is in reserve of 3rd Division, 14th Army Corps. Found no enemy.

Friday, August 5, 1864
Advanced skirmish line at daylight and drove the enemy from Sandtown Road. 52nd Ohio relieved the 85th Illinois at six p.m. Skirmish line within two hundred yards of enemy's main-work.

Saturday, August 6, 1864
110th Illinois relieved 52d Ohio at six p.m. Heavy musketry on the right. Supposed to be 23rd Army Corps. Nothing unusual has transpired on the lines, except constant firing.

Sunday, August 7, 1864
86th Illinois relieved 110th Illinois from picket. 125th Illinois in on fatigue duty and excused from regular turn of picket. Advanced skirmishers so as to occupy the enemy's outer works. Has a brisk little fight. Brigade lost about thirty-five men.
Monday, August 8, 1864
125th Illinois furnished thirty men for picket. 85th Illinois is manning the outer works, which were at first constructed for skirmish reserve and afterwards for the main line for works.

Tuesday, August 9, 1864
22d Indiana relieved 125th Illinois from picket with thirty men at 6 p.m. Had twelve men from 86th Illinois and six men from 110th Illinois for fatigue duty, constructing works in front of the advance on the left.

Wednesday, August 10, 1864
85th Illinois relieved 22d Indiana with thirty men. Line advanced on the left about three rods.

Thursday, August 11, 1864
110th Illinois relieved 85th Illinois with twenty men and were relieved early next morning by the 84th Indiana.

Friday, August 12, 1864
Division advanced to the right and relieved General Cox's division of 23d, at six a.m. 125th Illinois furnished sixty men for picket and relieved the same number from 128th Indiana.
Very little firing on the picket line.

Saturday, August 13, 1864
86th Illinois relieved 125th Illinois with three companies commanded by Major Thomas.

Sunday, August 14, 1864
22d Indiana relieved 86th Illinois with three companies. Very little firing on the line. A reb deserter came in and gave an encouraging report of Confederate desertions.

Monday, August 15, 1864
85th Illinois relieved 22d Indiana with three companies at 7 a.m. Received two rebel deserters and sent them to Division Headquarters.

Tuesday, August 16, 1864
52d Ohio relieved 85th Illinois from pickets with three companies. No firing on the line during the day.

Wednesday, August 17, 1864
110th Illinois relieved 52d Ohio from picket with sixty men. Inspected four regiments of the Brigade. Visited 86th Illinois at 8 a.m., 85th Illinois at 11 a.m., 125th Illinois at 2 p.m., and the 52nd Ohio at 4:30 p.m. Condition of arms is very good, but men's clothing is much worn.

Thursday, August 18, 1864
125th Illinois relieved 110th Illinois from picket: two companies. The rebel force on our front is supposed to be very light. Opened fire on the rebels at 8 a.m., received but a very feeble reply.

Friday, August 19, 1864
125th Illinois remained on picket. Brigade moved to the right in support of the 23rd Army Corps. Returned in the evening after dark.

Saturday, August 10, 1864
86th Illinois relieved 125th Illinois from picket: three companies. Brigade made a reconnaissance to Red Oaks Station on the Atlanta & West Point Railroad. Moved in the direction of Mt. Gilead Church.
I was in charge of the skirmishers this morning, after the division pulled out on a raid. When the outfit had been gone awhile, the silence around here became downright oppressive.
I decided to ride after the boys and see what was going on. Got to within three or four miles of the railroad, when the Georgia skies unleashed 'an August rainstorm.' This is distinguished from the variety of a Georgia July rainstorm, a June rainstorm, a May rainstorm, and any other time of year that this salubrious State thinks should be wet.
At any rate, when the downpour began, I took shelter under the vast branches of an old tree. Within a few minutes, the rain let up, so I mounted again and rode off. I though I was on the road which Division had taken, but the rain had washed away all the usual signs. Naturally, I had no business there in the first place, but having gone that far, I rode on.
After some little distance, I had found no more evidence of the division's passage and was just about to turn back when a reb jumped out from behind a tree. He had a pistol at the ready.
"Put 'em up, Cap'n," says he. "And get of the horse."
I couldn't have been more surprised. Couldn't do a thing, having brilliantly left my pistol and sword back at camp. I dismounted and gave him the reins.
"You can just hand over yer watch and wallet, too."
Guess I must have sighed a little as I gave the reb what he wanted, 'cause he smiled.
That made me sore as hell, but all for naught. For a while, I walked down the road, followed by the gunman. He kept his pistol on my back and walked after me, leading the horse. But the horse shied, so the reb had me mount again. He remained on the road and gave the orders.
We had gone nearly a mile or so, when we heard someone riding toward us. The reb expected to see a cohort, but, the rider drawing nearer, I recognized - my Orderly. The reb put his gun on my lad and demanded his surrender. My fellow said not a word, but dropped the reins on his horse's neck, then came near the reb's pistol, seemingly to give up. In a twinkling, though, he knocked the reb's gun to one side. The impact caused the gun to fire aimlessly. At that point, the reb saw that he was lost and took off running. But we chased him on horseback. My Orderly tried to shoot the scalawag, but his pistol jammed.
However, we caught that devil and I got my possessions back. Then we found the Division shortly after, and I couldn't resist showing my prisoner off a little. Never saw a Confederate in such a state. He was mad enough to take on the whole 86th, barehanded.
Returned to camp at sundown.
Sunday, August 21, 1864
22d Indiana relieved 86th Illinois from picket: three companies. No move today. Nice weather.

Monday, August 22, 1864
85th Illinois relieved 22d Indiana from picket: three companies. No firing on our front today.
Visited Division Hospital.

Tuesday, August 23, 1864
52d Ohio relieved 85th Illinois from picket: 3 companies. All quiet on our line.
Had a full view of our position.

Wednesday , August 24, 1864
110th Illinois relieved 52d Ohio from picket with detail of sixty men and three company officers. All quiet. Rebels say they are not allowed to communicate, but agreed not to shoot.

Thursday, August 25, 1864
86th Illinois relieved 110th Illinois from picket duty with two companies. Colonel Dilworth visited the lines and examined position. He appeared satisfied.

Friday, August 26, 1864
22d Indiana relieved 86th Illinois from picket: three companies. A general move was begun on the extreme left of the line by the 4th Army Corps and 20th Army Corps, the latter moving back to the river to protect the crossings. We were much annoyed by 14th Army Corps headquarters' trains leaving our front.

Saturday, August 28, 1864
Division ordered to move at 5 in the morning to move to the right on Campbelltown Road. Arrived at Mt. Gilead Church at 10 a.m. Rested and again moved forward. Crossed the West Point Railroad, half-mile above Red Oak and moved one mile east and took position. Picket detailed from brigade.

Monday, August 29, 1864
52d Ohio put out four companies on picket. Brigade lay in camp all day. No enemy in sight. Forage plenty. Men and horses doing well.

Tuesday, August 30, 1864
Division ordered to march in the direction of Jonesboro at 5:40 a.m. Took position near Flint Creek, threw up works and bivouacked for the night. Brigade furnished no pickets.

Wednesday, August 31, 1864
Marched from position on creeks towards Jonesboro. Halted and bivouacked for the night.
Put out four companies as pickets from the 52d Ohio.

Thursday, September 1, 1864
Moved to the left and crossed Flint Creek towards Jonesboro. Had marched within two miles of town.
Deployed one regiment as flank skirmishers from 1st Division, 14th Army Corps. Returned and had a fight near Jonesboro. Colonel Dilworth was wounded, a loss much to be regretted by the Brigade. Command thrown into temporary confusion by the loss of 150 men.

Friday, September 2, 1864
At daylight, found the enemy had evacuated. Brigade lay in trenches until about 9 o'clock, then moved on to Jonesboro, approximately one down mile distant. Army of the Tennessee moved on down the railroad. Heard distant cannonading. No report from it.

Saturday, September 3, 1864
lay in camp at Jonesboro. deployed five companies of 22d Indiana as pickets. Received orders to march to Atlanta about 3 o'clock. p.m. Men and prisoners were much fatigued from fast marching.

Sunday, September 4, 1864
In Atlanta:
Established headquarters in brick house near the railroad. Nothing new has transpired. Troops lay inactive for the first time in many days. Weather quite warm.

Go to next page

Many thanks to Michele Dawson, gr-gr-granddaughter of Capt. James Burkhalter, who submitted this information.

Return to Scrapbook page