bunting graphic

151st Illinois Infantry
Regiment History

flagbar graphic

Adjutant General's Report

This Regiment was organized at Quincy, Ill., and mustered into the United States service, February 23, 1865, and was composed of companies from various parts of the state, recruited under the call of December 19, 1864.

From Quincy, it proceded by rail, to Springfield, Ill., where the field and staff officers were mustered in February 25, 1865. The Regiment received its arms and accoutrements and was then ordered to proceed to Nashville, Tenn., via Louisville, Ky. Thence, on March 7, marched to Murfreesboro, and proceded by rail, to Chattanooga, Tenn., and reported to Major General James B. Steadman, commanding the district, who at once ordered the Regiment to report to Colonel Stickles, at Dalton, Ga., where it arrived February 13, 1865. There the Regiment remained, drilling, and engaged in picket and guard duty, and scouting.

The One Hundred and Fifty-First Illinois, One Hundred and Forty-Seventh Illinois, One Hundred and Forty-Fifth Indiana, and the One Hundred and Eighty-Seventh Ohio, were brigaded and became the First Brigade, Second Seperate Division Army of the Cumberland.

April 23, Colonel Woodall was detailed to proceed, under flag of truce, to Macon, Ga., via Atlanta, to communicate with Major General Wilson, and carry, also terms offered to the rebel General Warford for his surrender, together with that of his command. This mission he executed with credit and dispatch, and was complimented by his commanding officer, Brigadier General H. M. Judah, who had relieved Colonel Sickles, and was at that time, in command of the Brigade.

May 2, ordered to proceed to Resaca, Georgia, where, after a few days was ordered to Calhoun, and thence to Kingston, Ga., where the Regiment arrived May 12, after a most toilsome march. The Regiment marched into this town with the precision of regulars, as it was here they were to receive the surrender of the rebel General Warford and his command, which was done on the 13th, 14th and 15th of May, 1865. 10,400 rebels paroled in all.

Colonel Woodall was left in command of the post of Kingston. Company D, Captain David, was sent to garrison Adairsville, and Company F, Captain Hair, was sent to garrison Rome, while the Lieutenant Colonel was left in command of the Regiment. The garrison was chiefly engaged in securing good order, and guarding government property.

July 24, Lieutenant Colonel Snow was ordered to proceed, with three companies, to Carterville, and Major Battey, sent to Rome, to relieve Captain Hair. Captain Slaughter in command of the Regiment, and Captain Goble detailed as Provost Marshal.

July 28, Regiment ordered to proceed to Columbus, Ga., where it arrived July 31, 1865.

Colonel Woodall was assigned to the command of a district of six counties, and Lieutenant Colonel Snow to the command of the Regiment. Lieutenant Colonel Snow subsequently detailed as Agent of Freedmen's Bureau; then Provost Marshal General of the State of Georgia on General Steadman's staff, where he remained until the office was abolished by order of the War Department. Detailed again as Judge Advocate of a Military Commission, until relieved and ordered to join his Regiment for muster-out.

This Regiment saw no fighting, but guerrilla skirmishes.

It was mustered out at Columbus, Ga., January 24, 1866, and ordered to Springfield, Ill., where it received final payment and discharge, February 8, 1866.

Transcribed by Linda Lee

Return to Main Page   Return to Regiment Page

NOTICE: This material may be freely used by non-commercial entities for educational and/or research purposes as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or other presentation without the permission of The Illinois USGenWeb Project.   © 1997 The ILGenWeb Project All Rights Reserved

Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional