bunting graphic

136th Illinois Infantry
Regiment History

flagbar graphic

Adjutant General's Report

The companies forming the One Hundred and Thirty-sixth Infantry were enlisted about the first of May, 1864, and went into camp at Centralia, Ill., but were not mustered into the United States service until the first day of  June following.  Shortly after muster the Regiment received marching orders and was sent by rail to Cairo, Ill., and there placed on a boat, with Fort Pillow as its probable distination.  But when the Regiment arrived a Columbus, Ky., word was received that General Forrest was making a feint on Fort Pillow but would attack Columbus and the Regiment was consequently landed at Columbus, where it remained doing garrison duty during the months of June, July, August and part of September.

While stationed at Columbus a report was received stating that General Forrest was marching on and would attack Paducah, Ky., and the Regiment was ordered to march out and intercept him, and leaving Columbus August 12, it marched to Mayfield, Ky., but there learned that General Forrest had changed his course and was marching back toward Memphis, which place he attacked and captured.

From Mayfield part of the Regiment was sent to Paducah and from there to Columbus by boat, where the Regiment proper marched back to Columbus direct.

When the time for which the Regiment enlisted expired it was called upon to reenlist for fifteen days and each man was promised a medal for this extra service, but although the extra time was served the promise was never redeemed.

        The Regiment was finally ordered to Chicago to be mustered out, and left Columbus on Sunday morning about September 26, and went by boat to Cairo, Ill., where it remained until Tuesday morning and then started by rail for Chicago, but General Price was at that time making a raid through Missouri and the destination of the Regiment was changed, and it was sent to Missouri to meet Price.

The Regiment traveled by rail until the Sunday morning following when it arrived at St. Louis and went into camp at Benton Barracks, having been on the train almost continously for six days during which time the men only had two meals of cooked rations, and suffered greatly for want of water.

After remaining at Benton Barracks two days the Regiment was divided and the several companies sent to the various forts around St. Louis, and remained in charge of the forts until October 15.  The Regiment was then sent to Camp Butler, and on the 22d day of October was mustered out of the service, but was detained at Camp Butler waiting for pay and final discharges until the 30th day of October, 1864.

From the time the Regiment enlisted until finally paid off the time actually in the service and detained by the Government was but a few days less than six month.

The Regiment was never in a regular battle.  The service rendered was principally garrison duty with occasional scouts and raids against the guerrillas.

The Regiment traveled by rail about 859 miles, by boat about 71 miles and marched about 145 miles, making the total distance traveled about 1,075 miles.

All members of the Regiment received from President Lincoln certificates of honorable service.

[See remarks which precede the roster of the One Hundred and Thirty-second Infantry for further history of the service of this Regiment.]

Transcribed by Pat Hageman

Return to Main Page    Return to Regiment Page

NOTICE: This material may be freely used by non-commercial entities for educational and/or research purposes as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or other presentation without the permission of The Illinois USGenWeb Project.   © 1997 The ILGenWeb Project All Rights Reserved

Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional