bunting graphic

114th Illinois Infantry
Regiment History

flagbar graphic

Adjutant General's Report

The One Hundred and Fourteenth Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry was organized in the months of July and August, and mustered into the United States service at Camp Butler, Ill., September 18, 1862. Companies A and D were from Cass county; Companies B, C, E, G, H, and I, from Sangamon county, and Companies F and K, from Menard county. The Regiment left Camp Butler for Memphis, Tenn., November 8, 1862, arriving November 16, and remained there, on picket duty, until November 26. It then started on the Tallahatchie Campaign, being attached to the First Brigade of Brigadier General Lauman's 23d. Then left for Jackson, Tenn., which was threatened by the rebel General Forrest, where it arrived, after two weeks very hard marching on January 8th, 1863, and remained, doing picket duty, until February 9. It then returned to Memphis, doing guard duty on the Memphis and Charleston Railroad.

On March 17, the Regiment left Memphis, on transports, bound down the river. Ordered to Young's Point, La., where it arrived April 2, and was assigned to the First Brigade, First Division, Fifteenth Army Corps, commanded by Major General W.T. Sherman, and ordered into camp at Duckport, La.

On the 2d of May, the regiment left for the rear of Vicksburg, and, on May 14, was engaged in the battle of Jackson, Miss--loss, 5 men killed and wounded. Arrived in rear of Vicksburg, May 18, and participated in the seige--loss, 20 men killed and wounded.

On the surrender of Vicksburg, the Regiment was ordered to move against the rebel General Joe Johnson, who retreated to Jackson, Miss.--during the seige of which place the loss of the Regiment, in killed and wounded, was 7 men. Johnson evacuating, it followed him as far as Brandon, and then returned to Camp Sherman, near Vicksburg, and remained there, doing picket duty, until September 3. While in camp there, Colonel Judy resigned, and was succeeded in command by Lieutenant Colonel King.

Was then ordered to Oak Ridge, Miss., and, while doing picket duty there, had several skirmishes with guerrillas. Lieutenant McClure, Company A was killed, and 2 men captured, while on duty. While there the Regiment participated in two scouts. About the 20th of November, left, on transports, for Memphis, and, on the 26th of November, went on provost duty there.

February 5, 1864, Regiment left on a scout, and engaged the enemy at Wyatt, Miss.-- enabling the cavalry, under General W.S. Smith to cross the Tallahatchie above, at New Albany. Then returned to Memphis, and went again on provost duty.

April 30, went on another scout, under General Sturgis, of a couple of weeks' hard marching. Returned to Memphis, and was put on picket duty.

June 1, went out again, under General Sturgis, engaging the enemy, under Generals Forrest and Lee, at Guntown, Miss. The action commenced early in the afternoon, between the enemy and the advance cavalry. The infantry was immediately hurried forward, at more than double quick, for about 3 miles, and, the day being one of excessive heat, numbers fell from the ranks, from fatigue and sunstroke. Almost completely exhausted the troops were pushed into the fight, and after a severe engagement of 5 or 6 hours the lines were everywhere repulsed, and commenced falling back. The one Hundred and Fourteenth remained as rear guard, assisting in holding the enemy in check, curing the whole of the first night's retreat. The Regiment lost, out of 397 men, 205 in killed, wounded and missing. Assistant Surgeon A.S. French was here killed, while nobly performing the duties of his position. Among the wounded were Adjutant Henry L. Vanhoff, Captain J.M. Johnson, Company A, and Lieutenant T.S. Berry, Company D; and Lieutenants E.P. Strickland and J.D. Zeigler, Company B, captured.

Falling back to Memphis, after two weeks' picket duty, left again, under General A.J. Smith, for Tupelo, Mississippi. On July 13th the Brigade to which the Regiment was attached was surprised by the enemy, near Harrisville, Mississippi, and, after a sharp engagement, the rebels were repulsed and driven back--the One Hundred and Fourteenth receiving the thanks of the Brigade commander, on the field, for the gallant and effective charge mad by it. On the next morning the fight was renewed, the rebels being repulsed in repeated charges made during the day and the succeeding night. The next day, the object of the expedition having been acomplished, the troops started back to Memphis, and on going into camp in the evening, were attacked by the rebels, under General Forrest. The Regiment participated in the charge, by which the enemy was driven from the field. Captain Berry, Company D, commanding the Regiment, and Lieutenant Chadsey, commanding Company H, were severly wounded. The Regiment lost, in these engagements in killed and wounded, forty (40) men.

Returning to Memphis, the Regiment remained there until August, when it went out under General A.J. Smith on another expedition, into Mississippi, Major J.M. McLean commanding (Lieutenant Colonel King being sick); and upon its return to Memphis, was sent, under General Joseph Mower, to report to General Steele, at Duvall's Bluff, Arkansas. Went into camp at Brownsville, Arkansas. Leaving there, after General Price, marched to Cape Girardeau, Missouri, in seventeen days, on ten days' rations; arriving October 6th. It then embarked on transports for Jefferson City, Missouri, and, disembarking, under command of Major McLean, (Lieutenant Colonel King being left sick at St. Louis), was transported by rail, to Otterville. Then continued the pursuit, by long and tedious marches, to Kansas City; at which point was ordered to St. Louis. Arrived there November 15th. The regiment was then ordered to Nashville, Tennessee, and was engaged in the battles of the 15th and 16th of December, making several charges during the engagements. The One Hundred and Fourteenth was attached to McMillan's Brigade, McArthur's Division, of General A.J. Smith's Corps, which Brigade was specially complimented in General Thomas' report to the War Department for charging and capturing the salient point of the enemy's line. In making this charge a rebel battery was captured, which Captain John M. Johnson, with a few men of the Regiment, and some involuntary assistance compelled from some captured rebs, immediately brought to bear upon the retreating ranks of the enemy, aiding materially in their disorder and capture. The loss of the Regiment was 15 men, in killed and wounded--Captain J.M. Johnson, Company A, commanding Regiment, being slightly wounded. The Regiment was engaged in the pursuit of Hood's forces as far as Pulaski, Tennessee. Then went, by transport, from Clifton, Tennessee, to Eastport, Mississippi, and was there detached as pontooniers of Sixteenth Army Corps. Left Eastport on transports, February 9th, 1865, for New Orleans, Louisiana, arriving there February 22d. On March 23, embarked on steamer at Lake Pontchartrain, for Spanish Fort, Alabama, and was engaged during the siege of Spanish Fort.

Lieutenant Colonel King, having resigned, and Major McLean having died, Captain S. N. Shoup, Company E, here received a commission as Lieutenant Dolonel, and, Captain J. M. Johnson, Company A, as Major.

On the night of the 13th of April, the Regiment was ordered to attack Forts Tracy and Hugee, situated in Mobil Bay. The movement was made in pontoon boats, and on arriving at the forts, they were found to have been just evacuated.

After the surrender of Mobil, the Regiment marched to Montgomery, Alabama, arriving April 24th, and bridging the Alabama River with pontoons, remained on duty at the bridge until July 17th, when it was ordered to Vicksburg, Mississippi, for muster-out.

The Regiment was mustered out of the United States' service August 3d, 1865. Arrived at Camp Butler, Illinois, August 7th, and received final payment and discharge August 15th, 1865.

Transcribed by Pat Hageman

Return to Main Page   Return to Regiment Page

NOTICE: This material may be freely used by non-commercial entities for educational and/or research purposes as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or other presentation without the permission of The Illinois USGenWeb Project.   © 1997 The ILGenWeb Project All Rights Reserved

Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional