bunting graphic

113th Illinois Infantry
Regiment History

flagbar graphic

Adjutant General's Report

The One Hundred and Thirteenth Regiment left Camp Hancock, near Camp Douglas, Illinois, November 6, 1862, when it was ordered to Memphis, Tennessee, to report to General Sherman.

On its arrival there, it went into camp, and remained till it joined the expedition known as the "Tallahatchie Expedition", General Sherman commanding.

On its return from that expedition it went into camp and remained until 24th December 1862, when it accompanied General Sherman in his movement against Vicksburg. It was then brigaded as the Second Brigade, Fourth Division-General Morgan L. Smith commanding Division, and Colonel Giles A. Smith commanding Brigade.

Participated in the battle of Chickasaw Bayou. Went from there to Arkansas Post, where the Regiment lost heavily. After the battle, five companies C, D, F, I and K, were detailed, by order of General Sherman, to guard prisoners of war to the North. These companies were ordered to Springfield, to recruit, as they were much depleted by overwork and the exposure of the trip. When ordered to return to the field every exertion was made by the Colonel commanding, and all intermediate officers, to have them join their comrades in the field, but without avail, until late in the fall of 1864. After these companies left, those remaining went to Young's Point with the army, its Colonel being there appointed Provost Marshal for the Fifteenth Army Corps, (General Sherman) and holding that position until the army went to Milliken's Bend. The One Hundred and Thirteenth was the last Regiment to leave the ground where it buried so many of its brave comrades in arms.

While lying at Young's Point Colonel Hoge was ordered, with the balance of his Regiment and Thirteenth United States Infantry, up Black's Bayou, where Admiral Porter, in six or eight of his gunboats, were surrounded by the enemy. After leaving the transport, it had to make a forced march of 25 miles, General Sherman commanding the Brigade in person, and on foot. The country was of such a nature, that the Regiment had to march a considerable distance, over a marsh, single file, on an extemporized bridge (a single plank in width); consequently could take no horses. Came up to the enemy, toward evening and had a sharp skirmish, driving him back to the timber. The following day, started on its return-the gunboats having been relieved-and reached camp after an absence of 10 days.

Remained at Milliken's Bend some two or three weeks, and then started, with General Sherman, on the march to the rear of Vicksburg. Arrived there on the evening of the 18th, and participated in the assault of the 19th and 22d, in which the Regiment lost heavily. Colonel Hoge being wounded, on the peremptory order of the Corps Surgeon, he received leave of absence. Shortly after his departure, the Battalion was detailed on provost duty on Chickasaw Bayou, an exceedingly unhealthy place. The result was, that in a short time, almost every officer and man was on the sick list. Major Clark then got an order to proceed to Springfield, Illinois, and take command of five companies there, where he remained till he joined the Battalion, with his command, in Memphis, Tennessee late in the fall of 1864.

Shortly after the fall of Vicksburg, Companies A, B, E, G and H, were ordered to Corinth, Mississippi, and, on October 1, 1863, Colonel Hoge was placed in command of that post and remained in command till the evacuation, which was on the 25th of January 1864. From there, was ordered to Memphis, and brigaded with the Second Brigade, Post and Defenses of Memphis, Colonel Hoge commanding.

On the 12th of January 1864, Colonel Hoge was ordered to take command of the following named Regiments and Batteries: Eighty-second Illinois, Ninety-fifth Illinois, One Hundred and Eighth Illinois, One Hundred and Thirteenth Illinois, One Hundred and Twentieth, and Company B, Second Illinois Light Artillery-and join General Sturgis, in his expedition against Forrest.

Was present at the time Forrest made his raid on Memphis.

Shortly thereafter, Colonel Hoge was ordered to take the One Hundred and Thirteenth Illinois, One Hundred and Twentieth Illinois, Sixty-first United States Colored Infantry, and Company G, First Missouri Light Artillery, and proceed up the Tennessee River. Met with a repulse from a large force under Forrest, and returned with the command to Memphis.

On March 23, 1865, Colonel Hoge was appointed Provost Marshal of the District of West Tennessee, and remained in that position till he was mustered out, with his Regiment, June 20, 1865.

The Regiment was then ordered to Chicago, where they received final payment and discharge June 25, 1865.

Transcribed by Susan Tortorelli

Return to Main Page   Return to Regiment Page

NOTICE: This material may be freely used by non-commercial entities for educational and/or research purposes as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or other presentation without the permission of The Illinois USGenWeb Project.   © 1997 The ILGenWeb Project All Rights Reserved

Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional