bunting graphic

107th Illinois Infantry
Regiment History

flagbar graphic

Adjutant General's Report

The One Hundred and Seventh Illinois Volunteers was mustered into the United States service at Camp Butler, Ill., September 4, 1862, and was composed of six companies from DeWitt and four companies from Piatt counties.

September 30, 1862, Regiment left Camp Butler for Jeffersonville, Ind., where it arrived on the morning of October 1. Owing to want of drill and discipline, it was ordered into camp, where it remained until October 12, employing the time in drill, and otherwise preparing for active field service.

Crossed Ohio River, October 12, to Louisville - General Buell's Army, meantime, having moved in direction of Perryville. Remained in Louisville until October 18, when it was ordered to Elizabethtown, Ky., to meet the rebel General John Morgan, who was advancing in that direction. A slight skirmish ensued between the One Hundred and Seventh and Morgan's advance, which resulted in the capture of some of the enemy and no casualties to the Regiment.

Moved, thence, to Mumfordsville, Ky., early in December following, where it remained until March 1863, when it left for Glasgow, remaining there until the following June.

The Twenty-third Army Corps, being organized, by order General Burnside, Brigadier General H. M. Judah was ordered to Glasgow, to assume command of all troops organizing for the Second Division, Twenty-third Army Corps, Department of the Ohio; and the One Hundred and Seventh Illinois, being assigned to this Division, marched, on the 18th of June, for Tompkinsville, Ky., on Cumberland River, in order to meet an anticipated movement of John Morgan, who was preparing for the invasion of Kentucky. Followed him to Mumfordsville, Ky., and from thence, by rail, to Louisville, and then, by steamer, to near Buffington Island, where he was finally captured.

Returned to Lebanon, Ky., late in August, when after reorganizing, proceeded with General Burnside on Campaign of East Tennessee. General Judah, being in delicate health, was relieved by General Julius White, who assumed command of the Division August 24.

The enemy retiring from East Tennessee, the command arrived at Loudon, September 1, 1863. Remained there until middle of October; then proceeded toward Greenville. Having marched some sixty miles east of Knoxville, received orders to countermarch, and moved, with all speed, to the assistance of General Rosecrans. Reached Sweet Water, 75 miles north of Dalton, where it heard the battle of Chickamauga.

Returned to Loudon, where was soon confronted by advance of Longstreet. Retired to north side Holston River, where it remained until November 13, when it was ascertained that the enemy had effected a crossing, by aid of pontoons, at Huff's Ferry, 4 miles below. Division retired to Lenoris Station. Was met by General Burnside, who ordered a countermarch in direction of enemy, who was found 3 miles below Loudon. Company A, One Hundred and Seventh Illinois, as skirmishers, commanded by Captain Milholand, attacked the enemy's skirmishers, who retired. Line was formed and an attack was made by the whole Division, driving the enemy back to pontoons. Regiment lost one killed and several wounded.

Encamped, on night of 15th November, at Lenoris. General Burnside issued order No. 81, requiring all baggage and part of ammunition trains destroyed, in order to facilitate movements of artillery, etc. The Regiment lost all books and papers. Having destroyed trains, retired, at 3 o'clock A.M., in direction of Knoxville. Engaged the enemy at Campbell's Station, 11 A.M., November 16. Engagement lasted till night. Arrived at Knoxville, November 18. Engaged enemy at Danbridge, December 21. Returned to Knoxville, by order of General Schofield, where it remained until April.

Broke camp at Massey Creek, Tenn., April 27, and moved to join Sherman's Army. Arrived at Calhoun, Tenn., April 30, and remained until May 3. Moved to Red Clay, Ga., and, on 7th, to vicinity of Rocky Face Ridge. Engaged enemy on 8th May. Moved, on 9th, for Resaca, via Snake Creek Gap. Engaged at Resaca, 14th and 15th May. Moved, with command, from Resaca to Dallas. Regiment, while on picket, May 28, was attacked by the enemy, in force, and, before re-enforcement’s came up, lost a number of its men. June 18, while engaged near Kenesaw Mountain, Captain Ed. Camp, Company H, while on the skirmish line, was instantly killed. Regiment participated in all engagements around Kenesaw Mountain, and the subsequent fighting around Atlanta. Followed the enemy to Lovejoy Station, and withdrew on night of September 4, 1864, arriving at Decatur, Ga., September 6, 1864.

Left Decatur, September 28, in pursuit of Hood's Army, passing over old lines, around Dallas and Kenesaw Mountains, to Resaca. Thence to Rome, Ga. Thence, on 18th October, to Cedar Bluffs, Ala. Returned to Resaca, where remained until November 6, 1864. Moved, by rail, to Nashville, Tenn., and from thence to Johnsonville.

November 18, Regiment, with Division, proceeded, via Nashville, to Columbia, Tenn., where, on 22d November, met the advance of Hood's Army. Skirmished with enemy until 28th, when, finding enemy crossing Duck River, fell back to Franklin. Regiment engaged the enemy at Spring Hill, November 28, with small loss.

November 29, assigned position in the lines near Columbia pike, and, owing to lateness of arriving, had not breastworks complete when the battle commenced. Regiment suffered a severe loss in the death of Colonel Lowry, who fell, mortally wounded, from a minnie ball in head. First Lieutenant Isaac C. Morse, command Company A, was also killed. After fall of Colonel Lowry, the command of the Regiment devolved upon Captain McGraw — Major Milholand being on staff duty).

Arrived at Nashville, December 1. During battle of Franklin, the Regiment captured two stands of enemy's colors, and had its own colors seized, but they were recovered by Private Walker, of Company G, who killed the enemy seizing them.

December 1, 1864, Regiment went into position, with Division, near Fort Negley, Nashville. It drew new arms, and was fully clothed and equipped. Remained, doing picket duty, and skirmishing, until December 15, when broke camp, and attacked enemy at 11 A.M. At 3 P.M. charged enemy's lines, with success. Captain S. S. Williams, Company K, was wounded. The enemy being completely routed, Regiment encamped near Brentwood Hills, on night of 16th. Next morning, moved towards Franklin, in pursuit of retreating enemy. Arrived at Columbia, December 20. January 2, 1865, left Columbia for Clinton, Tenn. Remained in camp until January 26, when embarked on board transports, bound for Washington, D.C., and arrived February 2. Moved to Alexandria, Va., February 9.

February 11, embarked on steamer for Fort Fisher, N.C. Arrived off the fort on 15th. Passed New Inlet on 17th, and landed at Smithville. Moved for Fort Anderson. Moved on enemy's pickets at 7 A.M., 18th. Drove in his skirmishers, with but little difficulty. Entrenched in a semi-circle around fort, one-half mile in rear. The enemy shelling furiously, 6 men were wounded. Held the position during the day, and attacked fort at daylight, on morning of 20th, and found it evacuated, excepting 52 men, taken prisoners. Regiment took the fort's colors. Followed retreating enemy to Brunswick River, opposite Wilmington. Crossed Cape Fear River, on morning of 22d. Remained at Wilmington two weeks, doing guard and picket duty. Arrived at New River, March 8. Arrived at Kingston, on 14th, and remained until 19th, when moved forward again for Goldsboro, arriving there on evening of the 21st, and meeting advance of General Sherman's Army.

Remained at Goldsboro until April 10, awaiting clothing and supplies for Sherman's Army.

Remained at Raleigh until surrender of Johnson. After surrender, Regiment, with Division, went to Salisbury, N.C., where it remained doing guard duty, until June 21, 1865, when mustered out of service. June 22, left for Camp Butler, Ill., where it arrived July 2, 1865, and received final payment and discharge.

Transcribed by Susan Tortorelli

Return to Main Page   Return to Regiment Page

NOTICE: This material may be freely used by non-commercial entities for educational and/or research purposes as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or other presentation without the permission of The Illinois USGenWeb Project.   © 1997 The ILGenWeb Project All Rights Reserved

Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional