bunting graphic

106th Illinois Infantry
Regiment History

flagbar graphic

Adjutant General's Report

The rivalry created under the call for soldiers in July 1862, influenced the people of Logan county to endeavor to make up a complete Regiment from the county, notwithstanding four full companies had before been enlisted in the county and that their depleted ranks had been filled by recruits from the same. Within thirty days from July 15th, eight companies were enlisted from the county when Company A, from Sangamon county, and Company K, from Menard county made the Regiment complete.

The Regiment went into camp at Lincoln, August 15, and was mustered into the United States service September 18. It was drilled for a time by Lieutenant Colonel Adams, formerly of the Regular Army.

Moved from camp November 7th, via St. Louis, to Columbus, Ky., arriving November 10th and moved thence to Jackson Tenn. The Regiment was broken into detachments and detailed as provost guards in Jackson and also as a guard up and down the track of the M. & O. R.R. for some twenty or thirty miles on either side of Jackson.

Lieutenant Colonel Campbell was detailed as provost marshal of Jackson. on Dec. 6th occurred the first death in the Regiment, E. Rankin of Company C, died on that day. While at Jackson, Captain P. W. Harts was placed under arrest for refusing to guard rebel prisoners at the residence of their rebel friends instead of at the guard house. His company was soon afterward relieved from provost duty and with Company I, sent to O'Bion river bridge on the M. & O. R.R. Company G and part of Company C; were sent eight miles north of Jackson to Carroll station. On December 17th Jackson was attacked by General Forrest, and Companies C and G surrendered without resistance on the morning of December 20th. Companies H and I were also attacked by General Forrest. Captain Harts, who had been released from arrest and had joined his command on the 19th, had taken the precaution to construct temporary breast works of some bridge timber. The rebel force made a severe attack, which continued from noon until dark, but were finally repulsed with severe loss. On the night of December 20th, part of Company C, commanded by Lieutenant Johnson, was attacked in the block house and after a severe fight of several hours drove the enemy off, after killing and wounding quite a number. In neither of these engagements was any of our men killed or wounded.

At the O'Bion River fight Sergeant Henry Fox, of Company H, climbed up the timbers of the bridge and crossed it under the fire of the whole Rebel force, on his way to Jackson for reinforcements, and although it was a perilous undertaking, yet he reached Jackson in perfect safety. After Forrest's raid, the Regiment was sent farther north to guard railroad stations.

The prisoners paroled by General Forrest were sent to Benton Barracks, and were exchanged late in the summer of 1863. The balance of the Regiment was ordered to Bolivar in March, and about May 31st it moved to Vicksburg. While en route there the boats in which the Regiment was conveyed was fired into at close range while off Island 63 by several companies of Rebel infantry and two pieces of cannon. Captain Beesely's son was killed at the first fire. A few others were killed and about 25 wounded.

After serving in the trenches of Vicksburg a few weeks, the Regiment was sent forty miles up the  Yazoo River to repel a Rebel force at that point.

Returning by forced marches, harassed by the enemy and the extreme hot, burning weather,  many of the soldiers were overcome by heat, and the Regiment lost more on that trip than from
any other cause during its term of service. The Regiment served in the lines at Vicksburg until   after the surrender of the place. Immediately after this it was ordered to Helena and took part in the advance on Little Rock, and participated in its capture. From this time the Regiment was on duty in Arkansas until the close of the war. It took a prominent part in the battle of Clarendon, and performed service at Duvall's Bluff, Pine Bluff, Hot Springs, Lewisburg, St. Charles, Dardanelle and Brownsville.

Except the siege of Vicksburg, the Regiment was not in any of the most noted battles, but, nevertheless, it performed well its part in putting down a rebellion, and it suffered many privations and hardships marching through swamps and bayous, guarding railroads, government property, fighting and foraging, as is proven by its long list of casualties.

The Regiment was mustered out of service July 12th, 1865, at Pine Bluff, Ark., and arrived at Camp Butler, Ill., July 24th, 1865, where it received final payment and discharge.

Transcribed by Susan Tortorelli

Return to Main Page   Return to Regiment Page

NOTICE: This material may be freely used by non-commercial entities for educational and/or research purposes as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or other presentation without the permission of The Illinois USGenWeb Project.   © 1997 The ILGenWeb Project All Rights Reserved

Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional