bunting graphic

105th Illinois Infantry
Regiment History

flagbar graphic

Adjutant General's Report

The One Hundred and Fifth Regiment Illinois Infantry Volunteers was mustered into the service of the United States, September 2, 1862, at Dixon, Ill.

On the 8th, moved to Camp Douglas. On the 30th, left Camp Douglas for Louisville, Ky., arriving on the 2d of October, and, reporting to General Dumont, was attached to his Division, Brigadier General W. T. Ward's Brigade. On the 3d moved in the direction of Frankfort; arrived on the 9th, after a severe march. Were engaged in guard and picket duty, with occasional slight skirmishing with the enemy. While at Frankfort, made a raid to Lawrenceburg, and returned. On the 26th, moved, en route to Bowling Green, arriving on the 4th of November, and remaining one week, was ordered to Scottsville. November 25, moved to Gallatin, Tenn.; December 11, moved to South Tunnel; February 1, 1863, returned to Gallatin, remaining till the 1st day of June 1863, when it moved to Lavergne. From thence to Murfreesboro, Tenn., returning to Lavergne the last of July. Moved to Nashville, August 19. Was quartered in Fort Negley, doing guard duty in it and the city of Nashville. Exchanged the Austrian musket, with which the Regiment had been armed, for the Springfield rifle musket. Meanwhile, it was attached to the Eleventh Army Corps, Major General O. O. Howard, commanding.

On the 24th day of February 1864, it took the line of march in the direction of Chattanooga, Tenn. On the day of March, it arrived at Wauhatchie, at which place it remained until the 2d day of May, being brigaded with the One Hundred and Second and One Hundred and Twenty-ninth Illinois, Seventieth Indiana and Seventy-ninth Ohio, with which it remained during the war. In the meantime, the Eleventh and Twelfth Army Corps were consolidated, under the name of the Twentieth Army Corps, Major General Joseph Hooker commander.

May 2, moved to Gordon's Mills. May 6, marched to Leet's farm; thence to Taylor's Ridge, on the 7th. May 10, moved to Snake Creek Gap. May 12, to Sugar Valley. May 13, moved in the direction of Resaca, Ga., skirmishing that evening and the next day. The morning of the 15th, moved with the Corps to the extreme left of the lines, immediately upon its arrival taking part in a charge upon the enemy's works, which were carried, losing several men in the engagement. On the 16th, pursued the retreating enemy, arriving at Calhoun on the 17th. On the 18th, moved to near Cassville. On the 19th, the One Hundred and Fifth being the advance, skirmished with the rear guard of the enemy, driving them at every point. Remained near Kingston until the 23d, when ordered forward, crossing the Etowah River. 24th, moved to Burnt Hickory. On the 25th, continuing its march towards Dallas, Ga., encountering the enemy, having a brisk engagement till dark, the casualties numbering fifteen, including two commissioned officers.

From this time until the 1st of June, the Regiment was engaged in advancing the line, building and strengthening the works and skirmishing, losing 16 men.

On the 1st of June moved to the extreme left, with the Twentieth Corps. On the 2d, the One Hundred and Fifth was ordered out as flankers, in which position it lost a most excellent officer, Surgeon Horace S. Potter, being killed by a shell. On the 3d, moved around and beyond the enemy's right, encamping near Ackworth, Georgia. Here it remained until the 6th, when it moved forward and took position near Golgotha Church, in line of battle, throwing up entrenchments and remaining until the 15th, when it again moved forward, encountering the enemy behind breastworks. A steady fire was kept up until dark. That night and the next day (the 16th) was occupied in strengthening the position, by erecting breastworks, being exposed to the fire of the enemy. Lost 19 men during the two days. The night of the 16th, the enemy retreated. On the 17th, 18th, 19th, and 20th, followed the retreating enemy, with slight skirmishing, at intervals. 21st, severe skirmish firing. 22d, moved forward about a mile, in close 105th Illinois Infantry proximity to the enemy's works, exposed to their fire - losing 11 men. The enemy evacuated his position during the night of July 2. On the 3d, moved in the direction of Marietta, Ga. The Brigade to which the One Hundred and Fifth was attached being the advance, skirmished with the enemy - losing 1 man killed and 2 wounded. Camped about four miles from Marietta, Ga., in plain view of a portion of the rebel army. On the evening of the 4th, continued the march in the direction of the Chattahoochie River, camping within two miles of that stream, on the north side, the night of the 6th. Remained there until the 17th, when it crossed the river and encamped until the afternoon of the 18th. Moved forward about five miles and rested till the morning of the 20th. Crossed Peach Tree Creek and came upon the enemy. A line of battle was formed - a charge of the enemy was repulsed in the afternoon, and several prisoners captured; also, the colors of the Twelfth Louisiana. 21st, was occupied in burying the dead of both sides, and collecting and turning over ordnance and other property. On the 22d moved forward about three miles, where the enemy was again encountered, posted behind the defenses of Atlanta. Entrenchmentís were immediately thrown up. Remained in this position until the 26th, when relieved and placed on reserve. 29th, moved six miles to the right of the lines. Making the position secure by throwing up works, remained until the 2d day of August. Returned to the left and took position, which was fortified and strengthened. Constant skirmishing and artillery firing was kept up until the night of the 25th of August, when ordered to fall back to the Chattahoochie River. Here it remained until the 27th when it took position on the north side of that stream, doing picket and guard duty.

The 2d day of September, the city of Atlanta surrendered. The Regiment remained in the vicinity of Atlanta until the 15th of November, when the "grand march to the sea" was began. The One Hundred and Fifth accompanying the expedition, bore its full share of the trials and hardships incident thereto. Passing on the route, Decatur, Sithonia, Social Circle, Rutledge and Madison, at which last named place it arrived on the 19th of November. From thence, marching southward to the city of Milledgeville, the capitol of Georgia, arriving on the 22d, and remaining until the 24th. Thence to the north of the Mississippi and Georgia Central railroad. Passing through Sandersville, Davisboro, and Louisville - (the One Hundred and Fifth and part of the One Hundred and Second routing a body of rebel cavalry between the last two named places) reaching Milan on December 3d. Continuing the march towards Savannah, passing through Springfield on the 7th, having a slight skirmish with guerrillas, arrived in the vicinity of Savannah on the 10th. The One Hundred and Fifth being the advance that day, had a brisk skirmish with the enemy's pickets, driving them within the defenses of the city. Participated in the siege of Savannah. That city was evacuated on the night of the 20th of December. On the 31st of December 1864, and January 1, 1865, was occupied in crossing the Savannah River -losing 1 man by a musket shot from the enemy - moved five miles and encamped until the 4th of January. Marched north to Hardee's farm, and again encamped, remaining until the 17th with slight skirmishing at intervals. Moved to Hardeeville, remaining there until the 29th, when it started on the Campaign of the Carolinas.

Moving northward, nothing of interest occurred until the 2d day of February, when the One Hundred and Fifth, being in advance, encountered the enemy near Lawtonville strongly posted behind barricades. It immediately charged the enemy, driving them from their position, through the town - losing 8 men in the engagement.

Continued the march on the 3d, 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th, when the One Hundred and Fifth again had the advance; has some slight skirmishing with Wade Hampton's cavalry. 8th, 9th and 10th was engaged in tearing up railroad between Graham Station and Williston. From thence, crossed the South and North Edisto Rivers, on the road to Columbia, arriving opposite that city on the 16th, after a very disagreeable march through swamps and marshes. Not being able to cross the Congaree at that point, moved up the river, and crossed the Broad and Saluda Rivers, with unite and form the Congaree. Marching northward, arrived at Winnsboro on the 21st. On the 22d, the Regiment, again in the advance, had some skirmishing with Butler's rebel cavalry, and crossed the Wateree River. Reached Hanging Rock on the 27th, rested one day; 29th, moved northward, arriving at Chesterfield, March 3d; at Cheraw, March 6th. Crossed Great Pedee and Lumber Rivers, and arrived at Fayetteville, North Carolina, on the 11th. Resting three days, 15th, moved in the direction of Raleigh, North Carolina, some ten miles, where it encountered the enemy, heavily entrenched, near Averysboro. Then, on the 16th, followed the battle of Averysboro - the enemy being driven from their position. The One Hundred and Fifth lost 6 killed and 16 wounded.

On the 19th, 20th and 21st, took part in the engagement near Bentonville. The enemy evacuated that place on the night of the 21st. Arrived at Goldsboro on the 24th. Thus, ended the Campaign of the Carolinas.

Remained at Goldsboro until April 10th, 1865. Continued the march toward Raleigh, arriving at Smithfield on the 11th, and at Raleigh, on the 13th, encountering but little opposition from the enemy. Resting until the 25th, moved out some fourteen miles on the Holly Springs road, in the direction of General Johnston's army. Encamped during the 26th and 27th. In the meantime, General Johnston surrendered. On the 28th, returned to Raleigh and immediately began making preparations for the homeward march.

On the 30th left Raleigh en route to Washington City via Richmond, passing through the latter city on the 11th of May. Arrived in the vicinity of Alexandria, Virginia, on the 19th. Took part in the grand review at Washington, on the 24th, where the Regiment received a compliment for their movements in the manual of arms, and their military appearance.

Remained in the vicinity of Washington until the 7th of June, when the Regiment was mustered out of the service, and started, by rail, for Chicago, Illinois, where it arrived on the 10th.

Remained at Camp Fry, until the 17th, when paid off and disbanded.

Transcribed by Susan Tortorelli

Return to Main Page   Return to Regiment Page

NOTICE: This material may be freely used by non-commercial entities for educational and/or research purposes as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or other presentation without the permission of The Illinois USGenWeb Project.   © 1997 The ILGenWeb Project All Rights Reserved

Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional