bunting graphic

100th Illinois Infantry
Regiment History

flagbar graphic

Adjutant General's Report

The One Hundredth Infantry was organized at Camp Irwin, Joliet, in August 1862, by Colonel Frederick A. Bartleson, and was mustered in August 30. The entire Regiment was recruited in Will county.

On the 2d of September the Regiment moved via Springfield to Louisville, Ky., where it was placed in the First Brigade, Colonel E. N. Kirk commanding, Second Division, Brigadier General Cruft commanding, Army of Kentucky.

On the 1st of October the Regiment was transferred to the Fifteenth Brigade, Sixth Division, Army of the Ohio, General Haskell commanding Brigade, and General Wood commanding Division.

The first engagement the Regiment was in was near Bardstown, Ky., on which occasion it was ordered by General Haskell to make the charge. The Regiment with a yell and bound moved forward carrying everything before them driving the enemy through the town and two miles beyond.

The Regiment marched in pursuit of Bragg to Wild Cat, Ky., and moving via Columbia and Scottsville, Kentucky, and Gallatin, Tenn., to Nashville, it arrived November 26, 1862.

At the battle of Stone River on that ever memorable Wednesday morning when Rosecrans right was being routed, the One Hundredth being held in reserve, was ordered into action and gallantly charged the enemy, holding their ground without even a rail for protection, while the enemy soon fell back under cover of breast works. During the bloody charge on Saturday, the Regiment assaulted General Hood's Division and drove it back to its cover behind trees. In this day's struggle the Regiment lost 24 killed and 80 wounded, and the next day in a desperate charge Colonel Bartleson and 14 men were captured. The privates were sent to Andersonville, that worst of all prisons.

The next severe battle in which the One Hundredth took part was Lookout Mountain and Missionary Ridge. It was on the left of Gen. Sheridan's Division in the front line and charged directly in front of Orchard Knob carrying the enemy's first works at the foot of the Ridge, halting a moment, then carried the Ridge, capturing many prisoners and a battery and pursuing the fleeing enemy far into the night, driving them across the Chickamauga River. Returned to Chattanooga next day and immediately started for Knoxville to the relief of General Burnside, who was being heavily pressured by Longstreet's Corps. The union Army took up winter quarters at Bull's Gap, near where Longstreet moved out to the east, and remained until spring.

The Regiment was stationed for some time at Athens, East Tennessee, guarding the railroad and Union citizens successfully against a number of rebel attacks by night.

Under Division Commander General Newton, the Regiment was conspicuous in all the general engagements and skirmishes during that long and tedious march of 120 days from Chattanooga to Atlanta.

The One Hundredth was always possessed with an insatiable desire to meet rebel cavalry, and being at the head of the column in General Stanley's (Fourth Corps) when the army was falling back from Pulaski to Nashville, the first opportunity presented itself to gratify the Regiment in that respect. General Stanley ordered the One Hundredth on a double quick to Spring Hill, a distance of two miles. On nearing the town a company of rebel cavalry made an unexpected charge upon the Regiment with an apparent assurance of annihilating their foe, but the One Hundredth instantly executed a right flank movement and charged upon them with fixed bayonets, driving them over the ridge and out of sight.

At the last battle of Nashville, where General Thomas completely routed Hood's army, the One Hundredth had the honor of taking an active part in the capture of Montgomery Hill, one of Hood's strongest positions, and turning these heavy guns upon the retreating foe. Next day the One Hundredth assisted in driving the enemy from Overall's Hill and completely routing and demoralizing the brave army which General Bragg had commanded for three long years.

The following statement shows the number of officers killed and wounded in battle, as also the number of privates killed in action or who died of wounds or disease.

Killed: Colonel Frederick A. Bartleson, Captain John A. Burrell, Captain George C. Schoonmaker, Major Rodney S. Bowen, Lieutenant Morris Worthingham, Lieutenant Charles F. Mitchell, Adjutant George W. Rouse.

Wounded: Lieutenant A. N. Watterman, Colonel C. M. Hammond, Major S. G. Nelson, Captain M. N. M. Stewart, Captain R. S. McLaughrey, Captain Hezekiah Gardner, Captain S. McDonalds, Captain S. D. B. Lines.

Privates killed in action, 66; died of wounds or disease, 124.

Total killed, wounded or died, 205.

The Regiment was mustered out of service June 12, 1865, at Nashville, Tenn., and arrived at Chicago June 15, where it received final payment and discharge.

The many struggles in battle, marches by day in burning sun, by night through black darkness, often in mud and water over boot tops, bivouacs on rough clad hills, in swamps or muddy cornfields, wading rivers neck high, often on short rations, but no fault of our noble Generals Sherman, Thomas, Rosecrans, whose untiring and ceaseless energy and efforts were almost superhuman. The closing up of ranks mid the carnage of battle, and pressing on to victory, are deeds of valor that should go into history and be duly cherished by all true and loyal citizens of our glorious Union.

Transcribed by Susan Tortorelli

Return to Main Page   Return to Regiment Page

NOTICE: This material may be freely used by non-commercial entities for educational and/or research purposes as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or other presentation without the permission of The Illinois USGenWeb Project.   © 1997 The ILGenWeb Project All Rights Reserved

Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional