bunting graphic

30th Illinois Infantry
Regiment History

flagbar graphic

Adjutant General's Report

The Thirtieth Infantry Illinois Volunteers was organized at Camp Butler, Illinois, August 28, 1861, Colonel P. B. Fouke, commanding.

September 1, 1861, moved to Cairo, Illinois, and was assigned to Brigadier General John A. McClernand's Brigade--Brigadier General U. S. Grant, commanding District of Cairo, and Major General John C. Fremont, commanding Department of Missouri.

October 22, went on scout into Kentucky, near Columbus.

November 7, was engaged in the battle of Belmont.  The Regiment did gallant service during this action, and captured the celebrated "Watson's New Orleans Battery."

January 10, 1862, moved from Cairo on a reconnaissance into Kentucky, and returned on the 23rd.

February 4, moved up Tennessee river, 6th, was in the attack and taking of Fort Henry;  in Colonel Oglesby's Brigade.

Was engaged in the siege and taking of Fort Donelson, 13th, 14th and 15th February, 1862.

Arrived at Pittsburg Landing, April 25.  Took part in the siege of Corinth, in Colonel Logan's Brigade.  June 4th and 5th, marched from Corinth to Bethel.  8th, occupied Jackson, Tennessee.  13th and 14th of August, marched to Estenaula, and the 31st to Denmark.

September 1, 1862, marched toward Medan Station, on the Mississippi Central Railroad, and about 4 miles from that place met the enemy's cavalry, 6,000 strong, under General Armstrong, and, after 4 hours' hard fighting, drove the enemy from the field, gaining a brilliant victory.  The Thirtieth Brigade of 20th and 30th Illinois Infantry, one section Schwartz's Illinois Battery, Captain Foster's company of  Independent Ohio Cavalry, and 34 men of fourth Illinois Cavalry.

On 2nd September, marched to Medan, 3rd, to Jackson.  2nd November, marched to Lagrange.  On 11th, marched toward Water Valley, Mississippi, arriving December 19th.  21st, marched for Memphis, Tennessee, arriving January 19, 1863.  Were stationed at Memphis, Tennessee, in Colonel Leggett's Brigade, Major General Logan's Division, Major General McPherson's Corps.

February 22nd, 1863, moved to Lake Providence, Louisiana.  Moved, soon after, to Vista's plantation.  April 17, to Milliken's Bend, Louisiana.  Joined Grant's army, and moved to Bruinsburg, Mississippi--crossing Mississippi river.  May 1st, moved to Thompson's Hill.  Moved to Hankinson's Ferry in Black River, skirmishing with the enemy en route.  Moved to Raymond, Mississippi.  Engaged in the battle of Raymond May 12.  Moved via Clinton, to Jackson.  Pursued the retreating enemy, after their defeat on 14th May.  May 16, engaged in the battle of Champion Hills, losing heavily.  Crossed Black river with the army, and arrived in the rear of Vicksburg, 19th May, 1863.

May 25, moved with expedition to Mechanicsburg, under General Blair.  Returning, actively participating in the siege of Vicksburg, until June 23, and then moved to Black river, under General Sherman, to watch the rebel General Johnson.

Moved with General Sherman's army to Jackson, and assisted in the investment of that place; after which the Regiment moved to Vicksburg, arriving July 25.  Remained in camp until August 20, when it moved to Monroe, Louisiana--returning 28th.  October 14, moved, under General McPherson, toward Canton, Mississippi.  Was in engagement at Bogachitta Creek.  Returned same month.

January 1st, 1864, mustered in as veteran organization.  10th, moved with expedition up the Mississippi river, against guerrillas, and returned on 15th.  February 3, left Vicksburg, on Meridian Campaign, under General Sherman.  Participated in the several skirmishes with the enemy, and arrived at Meridian, February 15.  Returned, March 3.  Distance, 300 miles.

March 5, left Vicksburg on veteran furlough to the State, and arriving at Camp Butler, March 12.

April 18, left Camp Butler, 28th, left Cairo with "Tennessee River Expedition," under General W. Q. Gresham.  Arrived at Clinton, Tennessee, 30th.  May 5, marched, via Pulaski, Tennessee, and Athens, Alabama, to Huntsville, Alabama.  May 35, moved to Decatur, crossing Tennessee river, 27th.  Thence via Warrentown, Alabama, to Rome, Georgia; thence, via Kingston, joining General Sherman's "Grand Army" at Ackworth, June 8th. 10th, moved to Big Shanty, and commenced skirmishing with the enemy.  27th, moved out to make a demonstration in front, losing about 20 killed and wounded.

On the night of July 2, moved, with Seventeenth Army Corp, to the right of General Sherman's army.  5th, moved to Nickajack creek.  9th, Regiment sent to guard Department Headquarters.  12th,  moved to Sweet Water Creek.

July 17, moved towards Decatur, via Marietta, crossing the Chattahoochie at Roswell's and arriving at Decatur on 20th. Was in battle of July 21st near Atlanta.  Also, in battle of July 22nd, near Atlanta--lost heavily. Actively engaged until the fall of Atlanta and Jonesboro.  Camped at East Point, September 6.

October 4, 1864, moved northward, in the pursuit of General Hood, via Kenesaw Mountain, to Resaca, and returned to Smyrna Camp Ground, via Galesville, Alabama, arriving November 5.

November 13, moved to Atlanta.  15th, moved with General Sherman's army in the "March to the Sea," participating in the capture of Savannah, Georgia, December 21st.  Left Savannah January 4, 1865, and moved, by water, to Beaufort, South Carolina.  Left Beaufort, January 13th, and participated in the capture of Pocotaligo, on the 15th.  Remained at Pocotaligo until 30th.  Marched, with Sherman's army to Goldsboro, North Carolina, and Fayetteville, North Carolina, besides destroying railroad track, etc.

April 10, moved to Raleigh, arriving there on the 14th.  Remained in camp until the surrender of the  rebel army, under General Johnson.

April 29, marched northward, via Richmond, to Alexandria, Virginia, arriving May 19th.

The Regiment took part in the grand review, May 24, 1865, at Washington, D.C. Camped near Washington same day.  Left Washington June 7, via Baltimore and Ohio railroad, arriving at Parkersburg, Virginia, 9th.  Proceeded, by steamboat, to Louisville, Kentucky.  Remained in camp at Louisville.

Mustered out of United States service July 17 1865, by First Lieutenant Aug. P. Noyes, A. C.  M.  Third  Division, Seventeenth Army Corps.

Arrived at Camp Butler, Illinois, July 10.  Received final payment and discharge July 27, 1865.

Transcribed by Teresa Davis

Return to Main Page   Return to Regiment Page

NOTICE: This material may be freely used by non-commercial entities for educational and/or research purposes as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or other presentation without the permission of The Illinois USGenWeb Project.   © 1997 The ILGenWeb Project All Rights Reserved

Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional