In the twenty-fifth annual reunion book for the 73rd Illinois Infantry, the following death list was published:
Co. A - Wm. H. Bullard, August 6, 1911
Co. B - Noah Drake, September 23, 1911
Co. C - Alex. C. Nicholson, January 7, 1911
Co. C - Henry C. Henderson
Co. C - Clark B. Brant
Co. C - Enoch Brazelton
Co. D - Elias M. Miller
Co. D - S. B. Garver, September 14, 1911
Co. E - Wm. McCool
Co. E - Thos. E. Busby
Co. G - Wm. T. Purnell
Co. G - Reuben H. Tolle
Co. G - Wm. H. Dodge, December 6, 1910
Co. H - Richard Bickerdike
Co. I - Wm. G. Miller, August 16, 1911
Obituaries from the 25th Reunion Book of the 73rd Illinois Volunteer Infantry:
WM. G. MILLER
Killed by explosion of boiler of traction engine, Aug. 16, 1911.
(From the Illinois State Register, Springfield, Ill.)
William G. Miller was one of the most prominent farmers in Sangamon county. He was born Jan. 14, 1838, in Sangamon county, and was married to Nancy Baker Jan. 14, 1858, who died. He was married to Sarah Hall Aug. 9, 1862.
He enlisted in Company I, Seventy-third Illinois Infantry, and was slightly wounded at the battle of Missionary Ridge, Nov. 24, 1863. He served to the end of the rebellion and was honorably discharged June 24, 1865.
He is survived by his wife; two sons, Henry of Grangeville, Idaho, and Oscar Miller, of Cheadle, Canada; three daughters, Mrs. Melvin Dodd and Mrs. Edna Keplinger, residing near the family home, and Mrs. Nellie Blackburn of Jacksonville; and two brothers, Marion Miller of Curran township and James of Chatham township.
SAMUEL B. GARVER
(From the Herald, Decatur, Ill., Sept. 15, 1911.)
Samuel Boyer Garver, one of the best known and most highly respected residents of the city, died in his home, 955 West Main street, at 3 o’clock yesterday afternoon. Death was due directly to uraemic poisoning. Mr. Garver had been a sufferer for a number of years with kidney and liver trouble and two weeks ago had fainted in a carriage. He had been confined to his bed since.
Although his active life had been passed elsewhere, Mr. Garver was highly esteemed in Decatur which has been his home since he retired from business in Farmer City, and he had formed many friendships in the two terms that he had represented this district in the legislature.
The burial will be in Farmer City Saturday, the Masons and G.A.R. attending. Prayer will be offered at the home at 7:30 and the body will be taken to Farmer City by train.
Mr. Garver was born in Dauphin county, Pennsylvania, Aug. 21, 1839. In 1855 he moved to Piatt county where he located on a farm, but when the call came for soldiers to preserve the integrity of the union, Mr. Garver enlisted and served in the immortal 73d Illinois Infantry, known as the “preachers’ regiment.” It was commanded by Col. James F. Jacquess of Quincy, himself a Methodist clergyman, and a large number of its officers were ministers. This regiment took part in the engagements of Stone River, Chickamauga, Missionary Ridge, Kenesaw Mountain, and Resaca, and Mr. Garver was wounded three times, twice through the left shoulder and once through the right hand. On May 29, 1865, he received an honorable discharge on account of wounds and returned home.
Mr. Garver farmed for four years and in March, 1870, entered the drug business in Farmer City, remaining in the same business and location until May, 1906, when having enjoyed a most successful career, he retired and moved to this city.
Despite the fact that he was devoted to his business he found time for public service and in 1906 was elected a representative in the legislature from this district which was then known as the 30th. He served two terms.
Mr. Garver was married May 13, 1860, to Miss Elizabeth Gay May. Three children born of this marriage are living, Mrs. F. S. Mitchell of Arthur; B. F. Garver of Farmer City, and J. U. Garver of Chicago. Mrs. Garver died June 3, 1901, and on April 3, 1904, Mr. Garver was married to Miss Ella Chenoweth, who with two brothers, Christian Garver of Bloomington and Jonas Garver of DeLand, survive him.
In early life Mr. Garver united with the Methodists church of which he ever after remained a loyal and consistent member, having served as superintendent of the Sunday school for eight years. He was a member of the Masonic order and the Modern Woodmen.
Kindness and the strictest integrity characterized Mr. Garver’s entire life. He loved his friends, rejoiced in his home and was a devoted husband and fathe
WILLIAM HENRY DODGE
Died, in the town of Vermontville, Michigan, December 6, 1910, William Henry Dodge, 1st Lieut. Co. G, 73d Ill. Vol. Inf. and buried December 8 by the local Grand Army Post and a large number of loyal and sympathizing friends.
Lieut. Dodge began his services early in the war with the 2d Cavalry, known as “Merrel’s Horse”. When the 73d began organization at Camp Butler he transferred to the 73d Ill. He soon became Sergeant of Co. G, then promoted to Second Lieutenant, and later again promoted to First Lieutenant, February 28, 1863, and served until the close of the war. Was early in ’63 detached to serve as Lieutenant of the Brigade Sharp Shooters, where he often distinguished himself as a brave and fearless commander. Was slightly wounded in the battle of Chickamauga, but did not leave the field. He was known, loved and respected by all who knew him. His faithful wife died about two years earlier. His last days were remembered by the Government increasing his pension to $72.00 per month. The Grand Army Post cared tenderly for him in his last hours and bear testimony to his having died as he lived, a faithful soldier.
ALEX. C. NICHOLSON
(From the Courier, Gibson City, Ill., Jan. 13, 1911.)
The sudden death of A. C. Nicholson, an aged veteran of this city, last Saturday evening, came as a distinct shock. Mr. Nicholson had been down town the same afternoon and met quite a number of his friends. Feeling dizzy he went to see a doctor, who advised him not to try to walk home. He made the trip home in the hack. The end came at about five o’clock in the afternoon. The family were aroused by hearing him fall to the floor, and he was dead within a few minutes after they reached his side. For a year past Mr. Nicholson had been a sufferer from a form of heart trouble, which was the final cause of his death.
The funeral was held at the residence at 2:00 o’clock Monday afternoon, being in charge of Rev. P. P. Carson, pastor of the M. E. church. In honor of his daughter, Miss Margaret Nicholson, principal of the High School, the public school was dismissed. The teachers and Board of Education attended in a body.
The members of the Gibson G.A.R. and W.R.C. lodges also attended. Old soldiers acted as pall bearers, representing Lott Post. Six members of Paxton Post, G.A.R., to which Mr. Nicholson formerly belonged, attended the funeral, as follows: W. B. Flora, A. Dillon, Christopher Smith, Wm. Moore, J. M. Briney and Dr. J. S. Bodwell.
The remains were taken to Paxton for burial, and these six Paxton veterans acted as pall bearers. Interment was in Glen cemetery at the county seat. The Paxton Post conducted the burial ceremony. The following obituary notice was read by Mr. Carson at the funeral:
Alexander Catell Nicholson was born in Salem, N.J., September 4, 1834, and died at his home in Gibson City, Ill., January 7, 1911, aged 76 years, four months and 3 days.
Mr. Nicholson’s early life was spent in Philadelphia, Pa., but in 1854 he came west with his father’s family and settled in Peach Orchard township, Ford county, Ill. Later they removed in Georgetown, Vermillion county. While living there Mr. Nicholson was married to Miss Maggie Scott. There were no children born of this union. During the next seven or eight years Mr. Nicholson had little opportunity to devote to his home, and after his return from the army came the sad death of his wife. He removed to Paxton, where on September 4, 1867, his birthday anniversary, he was married to Elizabeth Schoonmaker, who was at that time living with her father’s family near Elliott. To this union the following children were born: Joshua T., of Clinton, Ia.; Charles B., of Chicago; Frank E., of Rankin, Ill.; Margaret of Gibson City, and Harry, who died in infancy.
WILLIAM HENRY BULLARD
William Henry Bullard was born in Sangamon county, Illinois, Aug. 16, 1844. His parents were natives of Kentucky and were married in Illinois in 1843. There was a large family of brothers, and William, being the oldest, was situated to become the leader among them and developed a characteristic which went with him throughout his life.
He was educated in the public schools, and under good teachers became an accomplished scholar in early life. The death of his mother, which occurred when he was less than seventeen years old made a wonderful impression upon him. Till then he had seen only sunshine and happiness in his short life. In losing his mother he lost his close companion and best friend.
At the age of eighteen he joined the army and became a member of Co. A, 73d Regiment, Ill. Vol. Inf., in August, 1862, and was mustered out with his Regiment in June, 1865. He was in all the battles in which his Regiment took part, was never seriously injured nor in the hospital, and never out a day on leave.
After the war he engaged in farming and entered land in Kansas, where he lived for a number of years. He returned to Illinois for a while, and in 1886 removed to Olena, Arkansas, where he lived till his death, Aug. 6, 1911.
In 1886 he was married to Miss Abigail Prudence Baldwin, who was the daughter of a prominent Methodist minister in the Illinois Conference. A large family of children was born to this union, two of whom, the oldest son and youngest daughter, are dead. Those living are Mrs. Lorena Coffield, Mrs. Minnie Keach, Mrs. Bessie Wadkins, Marion Francis, James Albert, Mrs. Agnes Hanks, and Edwin Bullard.
Comrade Bullard had the love and respect of all his neighbors. His life was so pure and good that his friends were numbered by those who knew him, as was proven by the large concourse of people that attended his funeral. His body was borne by his comrades to its last resting place wrapped in the flag he loved so well.
(From the Bloomington Pantagraph.)
Lincoln, Ill., Feb. 21, 1912.(Special)Mark Gordon, a prominent retired farmer, died at his home on Ottawa street at 11 o’clock this morning, his death following a stroke of apoplexy, which occurred at 7 o’clock while in his basement arranging his furnace fire. He had previously been in excellent health, and his death came as a shock to his family and friends. The decedent was born in Waynesville, Green county, Pennsylvania, on April 13, 1839. He left his home in 1858 and came to Logan county, working as a farm hand. At the outbreak of the war he enlisted as a private in Company F, 73d Illinois Volunteers, and served three years, re-enlisting as a veteran, and was mustered out in August, 1865, as corporal. Returning to Logan county, he resumed farming and soon acquired a valuable farm in the Rocky Ford neighborhood. He married Miss Sarah E. Eury on June 2, 1872, and is survived by the widow, two sons, John S. Gordon, occupying the home farm, and Professor N. L. Gordon, teacher in the Lincoln high school, and one daughter, Mrs. R. H. McAfee of Brighton.
The funeral will be held Friday afternoon from the Methodist church, conducted by the pastor, Rev. W. N. Tobie, with interment in Union cemetery. Leo W. Myers Post, G.A.R., will conduct services.
JAMES P. STONE
(From the Bloomington Pantagraph.)
Lincoln, Ill., April 11, 1912.(Special.)The death of James P. Stone, which had been expected daily for the past two weeks, occurred at 6:30 o’clock Wednesday evening at his home, 100 Latham street. After spending an unusually active life in this community, he was taken sick last October with organic trouble, and went to the Deaconess hospital for six weeks and then returned to his home, where he remained until December 26, when he went to Hot Springs, Arkansas. On February 15 he went to West Grove, Iowa, to the home of his son, Dr. Gilmer Stone, but two weeks later was taken to Streator hospital in Chicago, where an operation was performed, which was considered successful, but the decline came two weeks ago, since which time he has been in a comatose condition. On Sunday he requested to be removed to his home in this city, which was done on Monday.
The decedent was born at Irish Grove, Menard county, Illinois, on June 2, 1837. He was married to Miss Cordelia A. Taylor on October 30, 1867, who preceded him in death on April 9, 1901. Eight children survive: Fred A. Stone of Greenview; Miss Elizabeth Stone, head of the domestic science department of the Decatur high school; Taylor P. Stone of Des Moines, Iowa; Miss Cordelia E. Stone of Colorado Springs, Colo.; Dr. James Gilmer Stone of West Grove, Iowa; Paul P. Stone of Ashton, Idaho; Guy P. Stone and Miss Jennie Stone of this city. One daughter, Abbie T. Stone, died July 28, 1892. Also four brothers, Caleb, John L. and William Stone of Middletown, and Claude L. Stone of Mason City, and sister, Mrs. J. T. Gulick of Mason City.
Mr. Stone taught school until his marriage, when he began farming, which he followed until he removed to this city a number of years ago, purchasing property at 100 Latham street. He enlisted in the Union army on August 13, 1862, in Co. F, 73d Regiment, Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and served with honor until mustered out at the close of the war at Nashville, Tennessee. He was a man of splendid Christian character, a good citizen and loyal neighbor. He united with the Presbyterian church in his boyhood, and for thirty-five years had been a ruling elder, serving at Irish Grove before uniting with the church in this city. He was one of the few churchmen who consistently practiced tithing.
The funeral will be held at 2:30 o’clock Friday afternoon at the First Presbyterian church, Dr. Otis A. Smith officiating. Burial in Union cemetery.
GILES HENRY PENSTONE
(From the Pike County Republican, Oct. 2, 1912)
On last Saturday morning the citizens of Pittsfield were shocked upon hearing that Mr. Giles H. Penstone had died at eight o’clock the night before. Last spring Mr. Penstone had a very severe and prolonged attack of pneumonia, which left him in a weakened condition, and three weeks ago, when he was taken with a complication of stomach and bowel trouble, he was unable to withstand a second illness.
Giles Penstone was born on February 22, 1838, in London, England. At the age of eleven he came with his parents and brothers and sisters to this country and they settled near Maysville. In 1852 the family moved to Newburg township, five miles northeast of Pittsfield.
In 1862 he enlisted in Co. H of the 73d Regiment of Illinois Volunteers. He was in the battles of Perryville, Chickamauga, Missionary Ridge, the Atlanta campaign, Kenesaw Mountain, and others.
In 1867 Mr. Penstone was married to Miss Elizabeth J. Edom and they took the home place and his father and mother returned to England for a year’s visit. After his parents’ return, they moved to Griggsville, where they lived until their death.
In 1900, after the marriage of his eldest son, Charles Henry, Mr. and Mrs. Giles Penstone moved to Pittsfield, and his son took the home place.
Mr. Penstone was a man of absolutely blameless life. He was a lover of truth in word and deed, honest, upright and conscientious in the smallest details of life. In his home life, which is the truest index of a man’s real self, Mr. Penstone was without a flaw. He was a devoted husband and a most loving father, and his death leaves a void in the lives of his family that can never be filled. As a citizen, Mr. Penstone was devoted to the best interests of his country and city, helping generously in every movement for their best advancement.
Mr. Penstone was an earnest Christian, giving liberally of both strength and money to the church. He with his wife first joined the Congregational church in Griggsville a few months after their first child was born. For many years he was trustee in the Griggsville church. When they moved to Pittsfield, he and his wife united with the Congregational church here, under the ministry of Reverend Monroe Markley.
The funeral services were held Monday afternoon, September 30, at 2 o’clock at the home. The universal respect and esteem in which Mr. Penstone was held was testified to by the large attendance of friends from Griggsville, Maysville, Detroit and the surrounding country, besides those from Pittsfield and the immediate vicinity.
Rev. F. L. Hanscom paid a beautiful tribute to the ideal character and noble life of Mr. Penstone. Two hymns, “Nearer, My God, to Thee” and “Lead, Kindly Light”, were sung by a quartet composed of Mrs. Edw. Carnes, Mrs. J. M. Bush and Messrs. Ed. Shriver and Vincent King. A beautiful solo, “Some Time We’ll Understand”, was sung by Mrs. J. M. Bush. The pall bearers were Messrs. F. L. Shriver, E. P. Dow, A. B. Carey, Sr., J. T. Briggs, M. D. King and W. C. Bush.
The services at the grave were in charge of the G.A.R., Mr. Penstone having been a member of the W. W. Lawton Post of the G.A.R. in Griggsville for many years. He was also a member of the Masonic fraternity.
Mr. Penstone leaves behind him a wife, six children, two grandchildren and two brothers and two sisters, besides numerous other relatives and friends who bitterly mourn his death. His children are Charles H. on the home farm, Mrs. Calvin Sanderson of Pittsfield, Mrs. D. B. Wetty of Oklahoma City; Miss Nellie, at home; Edward, on a farm adjoining the home place; Miss Clara, member of the faculty of the State Normal at Bloomington.
DEATH OF MAJOR BURROUGHS
Fairmount, Illinois, November 2, 1912
DeWitt R. Gooch, Bellflower, Ill.
Dear Sir: My father (Maj. Burroughs) died October 30 and was buried yesterday. He was 86 years, 11 months and 9 days of age. Please report this at your next meeting and send me a copy of the minutes of that meeting.
N. W. BURROUGHS
Submitted by Jo Rice
Return to Scrapbook page