- POWELL, William Henry, b. 11 May 1844, St. Clair County,
IL to Constant Powell (1806-1866) and Mary Lyons, d. 21 Aug 1883.
Enlisted 12 Aug 1862 for three years, Co. I, 117th Illinois Infantry,
"Cpt McFarland's Co." reg't referred to a "McKendree
Reg't" as so many officers were from the McKendree College,
mustered out 5 Aug 1865, Camp Butler or Springfield. 18 June
1863, detailed to guard prisoners at Alton, IL. Jan/Feb 1864,
detailed as 'division teamster'. 4 Apr 1965 "Detailed as
teamster in Ord. train by SO No. 59, no. 2, 2 Div, 16 AC".
Apparently a teamster by trade, family hauled supplies to build
the railroad that went through O'Fallon, IL
- Married Mary Ellen Dale, 10 Oct 1867, St. Clair Co., IL d/o
Lewis Lunsford Dale and Frances Boston, formerly of Hancock Co.,
d. 15 May 1933, Madison Co., IL. Received CW widow's pension
#300483 on William's service. (According to family 'legend',
Boston relatives may have been involved in murder of Joseph Smith,
the Mormon leader.)
- -Elizabeth "Lizzie" Powell b. 8 Jun 1868, IL d.
24 Dec 1941, Madison Co., IL, never married, reported to have
been a Red Cross nurse in France during WWI, but not confirmed.
- -William Constant Powell, b. 24 Aug 1870, O'Fallon, SCC,
IL, d. 12 Feb 1945, Phoenix, AZ, married Gertrude Marguerite
Fix 1 Mar 1891.
- -Ross Powell b. 8 Feb 1875, IL, died young.
- -Ora Powell, b. 14 Sep 1877, O'Fallon, SCC, IL, d. 7 Dec
1910, married second to John McTeer, 28 Jul 1900. John's father
was Andrew Jackson McTeer, a private in the 144th Illinois Infantry
who apparently spent his service guarding prisoners at Alton.
- -George Thomas Powell, 21 Jan 1879, O'Fallon, SCC, IL, d.
13 Jul 1954, Collinsville, Madison Co., IL, deaf, never married.Supposed
attended a 'deaf' school in Jackson as well as Washington, DC.
Submitted by H. Michael