The "Springfield Light Artillery" was recruited principally from the cities of Springfield, Belleville, and Wenona, and was mustered into the United States service at Springfield, for the term of three years, on the 21st day of August, 1862, numbering 120 men and officers.
November 1, 1862, It was order to the front. Arrived at Bolivar, Tenn., November 8, 1862, and was assigned to the First Brigade, First Division, Sixteenth Army Corp, under the immediate command of Brigadier General Mason Brayman.
December 18, 1982, the right and left sections of the Battery were ordered to Jackson Tenn., to join the expedition and Forrest, and after an absence of 5 days returned to Bolivar, Tenn.
On the 18th day of June 1863, the Battery was divided, the right section being stationed at Germantown, Tenn., the centre at Moscow, and the left at Collierville, along the line of the Memphis and Charleston Railroad.
August 30, 1863, the Battery was remitted and assigned to the Second Brigade, First Division, Sixteenth Army Corp, under command of Colonel James True, and started en route to Little Rock, Ark., and participated in it capture on the 10th day of September, 1863.
On the 19th day of October, 1863 the left section was detached from the Battery and ordered to Lewisburg, Ark., where it remained until the 15th day of March, 1864, when it again joined the Battery March 17, 1864.
The Battery was next assigned to the Second Brigade, First Division, Seventh Army Corp. under the immediate command of Colonel Adolph Englemann, of the General Banks' Red River Expedition, and participated in the several skirmishes of that campaign, and the battles of Prarie D'Ann and Jenkins Ferry.
Returned to Little Rock Ark., May 3, 1864, where the Battery remained until June, 1865, when orders were received to report to Springfield, Ill., for muster out of service.
Arrived at Springfield, Ill., June 25, 1865 and mustered out on the 30th day of June 1865.