The One Hundred and Forty-ninth Infantry Illinois Volunteers was organized Camp Butler, Ill., on February 11, 1865 by Colonel William C, Kueffner, and mustered in for one year. On February 14, moved for Nashville, Tenn., and from thence moved to Chattanooga. Was assigned to Colonel Felix Prince Salm's Second Brigade, Second Separate Division, Army of the Cumberland, and on the 2d, moved to Dalton, Ga., On July 6, moved to Atlanta. On the 26th, being assigned to duty in the Fourth Sub-District of District of Allatoona, it was assigned guar duty in that District.
Mustered out January 27, 1866, at Dalton, Ga., and ordered to Springfield, Ill., where it received final pay and discharge.