The One Hundred and Forty-Second Infantry Illinois Volunteers was organized at Freeport, Ill., by Colonel Rollin V. Ankney as a Battalion of eight Companies, and ordered to Camp Butler, Ill., where two companies were added, and the Regiment mustered June 18, 1864, for 100 days.
On 21st of June the Regiment moved for Memphis via Cairo and Mississippi River, and arrived on the 14th. On the 26th, moved to White's Station, 11 miles from Memphis, on the Memphis Charleston Railroad, where it was assigned to guarding the railroad.
Mustered our of the United States service October 27, 1864, at Chicago, Ill.,
[See remarks which precede the roster of the One Hundred and Thirty-second Infantry for further history of this regiment.]